Sunday, December 04, 2011

5 Years on December 5th


Happy birthday to Carrie's Burden.
Happy birthday to Carrie's Burden
Happy Birthday to Carrie's Burden.
Happy birthday to you!  Cha -cha-cha

Ethan always adds the cha-cha's when we're singing the birthday song.  In fact, I don't think he sings any other part of the birthday song.  He just waits with a smile on his face for the correct part to insert his cha-cha's into.

I can't believe I've been blogging for five years!  It sure doesn't feel like five years, but I guess it has to be, because my archive list on the side bar is getting pretty long.  I remember sitting at the computer, reading Brooke's blog (the first blog I had ever seen) and thinking, "I want to do that, but can I do it as cool as Brooke does?"  Hopefully somewhere in all my 522 posts, I've at least come a little bit close to Brooke's coolness.

I have to say that even though I was scared to start posting - scared what people would think of what I had to say, scared that people might not even care that I had anything to say - I am so glad that I started this blog.  So glad.  I love looking back on previous posts to see what we were up to a week or a month or a year ago.  It may be vain, but I love reading my own blog!  I love looking at the pictures of my kids, reading about my trials, and especially reading about my blessings.


One of my first posts was about singing Christmas carols around the Christmas tree.  Ethan was a baby, and he sat on my lap, and Alyssa sat beside us while we sang.  Alyssa was still little, so I did most of the singing.

This year, Alyssa sings louder than I do, and I think she knows the words to some of the songs better than I do.  Ethan joins in on the chorus - Jingle Bells seems to be his favorite.  We've added Marcus to the mix, but he hasn't sat still for very long while we've sung.  We've also added Rebecca, who loves every minute of it, and Brian isn't busy studying anymore, so he joins us more often, too.  I love it.

I think one of my favorite things about blogging is how it helps me remember all those little snippets of time.  If I hadn't written it down, I probably would have forgotten sitting on the wooden floor of our little house on Hawthorne Street, singing carols with my babies.  I don't want to forget these moments, and hopefully this blog will help me to remember all the special times that are still ahead of us.

3 comments:

erica said...

what a big accomplishment. i totally know what you're saying about going back and reading your own blog, those memeories are priceless! i'm so glad i found your blog so that i can hear first hand what you and your family are up to!!

Kim-the-girl said...

Wow! Way to go Carrie and I, too, know what you mean about reading past blog posts... We love it, especially the kids. And, just so you know, I love reading what you have to say, every time. :)

Brooklet said...

I have loved reading your blog also. I think blogs are one of my favorite inventions in the last ten years. I love going back and reading my blog posts and remembering the little things that I would never remember if I hadn't posted about them.

I love being able to read your blog and feeling like I am still very much a part of your life, even though I live thousands of miles away. It will be fun to read the next ten years as we enter the teenage years with our kids and can look back at the beginning of blogs and remember how our life was once upon a time.