Monday, October 17, 2011

Just Some Rambling

For some reason I thought that after Alyssa started going to school that I would have gobs of free time.  There were so many times when I was homeschooling that I would jealously think of all the moms who sent their children to school each day and how they must have so much time to do whatever they want.  Now I know that those moms are busy, too.  Just a different busy.

I think I was actually better at keeping up with the household chores when we home schooled, because I had to keep up.  Right now I'm jumping from project to project in the house, and I'm neglecting the laundry and dishes.  Oooh, especially the dishes.  There have been so many nights where we've had to run off somewhere after dinner, and we ended up leaving dirty dishes on the table, the counters, and in the sink.  It's been crazy.  There have also been a lot of nights that Brian hasn't been able to join us for dinner, because of the activities we have to get Alyssa to in the evenings.  Basically, I made dinner for me and the kids, then Brian would come home as Alyssa and I were finishing up and just about to head out the door.  When I put Alyssa into ballet and soccer, I made a promise to myself that we would not lose eating dinner as a family, and I didn't like that that's where we were.

Last week I figured out our schedule such that we can have a good dinner together again each night.  It does mean that we're eating dinner at 7:30 some nights, but it has been so wonderful to not feel rushed as we eat and to be able to enjoy each other's company.  Eating that late is also not a huge deal, because Alyssa get's home from school just after 4:00, and the kids usually get a snack then.  Crazy, huh?  It's 3:49 pm, and she just barely got out of school.

School is going really well for her, by the way.  She's made some good friends, and she's doing a great job of getting her work and home work done. 

Okay, so I think it's time to end this post.  I didn't really know what to write about when I sat down, anyway.  I just know that I need to get in the habit of writing again, so I don't lose all the memories we're creating now.  But right now is not the time to do that.  I have two little boys who are begging to do this and that, and especially begging to eat, and they're not leaving me alone.  But real quick - here is the one thing that I wanted to make sure to put in the post:

Wow, it get's blurry when you make it extra large.  Don't worry, I'm just mid-project.  I'll make sure to take a picture with the real camera when it's done.  I just had to take a picture so that when I take the frames down to paint them, I'll remember what order to put them back up in.  And, of course, I'm sharing the picture with you, even with all it's blurriness, because I am excited.

5 comments:

NaDell said...

I love that bench on your wall. It looks great! I think that set up of frames above it will work beautifully as well.
It's way too easy to be busy. Glad you figured out a dinnertime. At least now you might not have to worry about a bedtime snack, right?

Katie B.C. said...

Is that a church bench in your house? How did you get that? The frames look great. Good inspiration for all of us moms who have a bunch of projects to do too.

Travis and Heather said...

Love that wall, can't wait to see it all done! Church bench? totally awesome. I would paint it a fire engine red if I was lucky enough to get my hands on one.

Paula -- CutieFruity said...

did you somehow nab that pew from the stake center remodel? How the? I'm totally jealous of it! I was so sad when they all just disappeared because I so wanted one!

Carrie said...

No, Paula, Brian's parents nabbed it when they remodeled the Richland Stake Center about ten years ago. It's been sitting in their storage unit for that long, so they kindly gave it to us.

Heather, red would be so cool. Brian doesn't like to repaint over wood unless you have to, so for now we're leaving it as is. The orange is growing on me, it actually looks really good with everything, and it will look great with the fabric we just got for it.