Monday, September 27, 2010

We Did It!

So Brian and I ran the Indian Summer 5K on Saturday.  I discovered that I prefer running in the dark at 5:30 in the morning to running in the bright sunshine at 8:00.  I think I'll wear a hat for the next run, which will be the Howl n' Scream Scram on October 23rd.

On Thursday I ran for five minute blocks with 2 minute intervals of walking between, and it was actually pretty easy.  So I decided to cut my walking time down to blocks of a minute and 30 seconds for the actual race, and it was tough!  I beat my Thursday time, which was my goal, but it was definitely hard to do.  On Thursday I kept thinking, "Maybe I'll try to do the 10K in October instead of the 5K," but after Saturday I've decided that I should improve my 5k time and increase the time I actually spend running before I attempt a 10K.

Brian and I were walking and running at different times throughout the race, so we kept passing each other and saying, "Hello," which was fun.  Brian was about ten paces behind me at the end, so he caught up to me and grabbed my hand, and we crossed the finish line together at 32 minutes and 8 seconds.  At the beginning of last week I was praying that I would finish under 40 minutes, so I am quite proud of myself.

My favorite part of the whole thing was running beside two teenage girls, whose conversation went like this:

Girl 1: Are you sweaty?

Girl 2: Yeah, are you sweaty?

Girl 1: (slight pause) No.

Liar!  How can you not be at least a tiny bit sweaty after running two miles in the sunshine?  My goodness - I almost laughed out loud, but I'm glad I didn't.  When I told Brian about it later, he said she must have been "glistening" instead of sweating.

5 comments:

Cam said...

Good for you guys! I've always thought it would be fun to run a race with Kevin, and maybe even put the kids in a jogging stroller- but I don't know if it will ever happen. I just don't enjoy running, even though I used to be pretty good at it. ;)
Good luck getting ready for the next one.

Kimberly Nicole said...

Congratulations! Good Job!
It has been fun to run with Brian in the mornings to train for our "race" on Thanksgiving. I'm excited to do it. It will be fun with all of us running!

Kim-the-girl said...

Way to go! I'm training for a half marathon and its so intimidating! But its so exciting to be working toward something!

Lindsey Alexander said...

Wahoo!!! Awesome job you guys!!!!

Katie B.C. said...

Congratulations! Did you like the race? Are you addicted to the "natural high"?

Doing races is fun and I'm so jealous that you were able to do it with your husband! That is yet to happen for us.