Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Check Out George-alina


George-alina was just barely a centimeter long when Alyssa brought her home a couple of weeks ago, and we have watched her grow and fatten up until she was about an inch and a half long when she stretched herself out. Over the last couple of days George-alina has been moving a lot less, and I admit there were a few times I was afraid she was dead. I thought that maybe Alyssa's enthusiasm and carrying her little plastic ramekin home around to show George-alina to all of our neighbors had finally done her in, but when I looked closely I could see her little mouth moving. All was well.

Then, this morning I checked on George-alina when we woke up, and sure enough, she is halfway in to her cocoon. Alyssa keeps saying, "Just in time to take her back to school tomorrow!" This whole process has been amazing to watch, especially watching the way Alyssa has taken care of her little caterpillar. The chrysalis George-alina is building for herself is just beautiful. The picture doesn't show the tiny bright yellow dots very well, or the pretty smooth texture.

3 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

That is really so cool. How exciting!

Paula -- CutieFruity said...

her cocoon looks a lot different than sarah's. I wonder if one is a moth. Very interesting!

Travis and Heather said...

Aren't caterpillars the coolest things ever. I just read a book about them to the monkey's and we were all saying how daggum awesome they are. I will have to show them this post when they wake up.