Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day

My Grandpa Harris used to tell us stories about when he was in the Civil War, nearly losing a leg, an arm, his life. I think there were even a couple of times that he brought out old coins and bullets and told us that he got them way back when he was in the Civil War. He wasn't even alive during the Civil War, so of course he didn't fight in it, but it sure was fun to hear him tell stories about "Old Abraham Lincoln" and such.

Grandpa was actually in the Korean War. He spent a year in Korea working on the construction team building roads through the jungles. My grandma (who you get the true stories from) says that he was on the tractors between the American troupes and North Korea's troupes, and that he would watch as bombs flew over his head. Luckily, he never got hurt, and he made it safely home to marry my grandma.

Here's a picture of him being greeted by his mother and sister:





* * *

On Saturday Alyssa was in the Veterans day parade in West Richland. Her teachers tried to teach the girls to march and cheer at the same time during practice the previous week, but it didn't work too well. So they just gave each girl a set of pom poms and had them walk along. Alyssa was not content with this, so she made up her own cheer, and she did it for the entire parade. (High V, Low V, Cross hands over head, and kick!) I can't watch the video of it without laughing - it's so cute!

5 comments:

Kimberly Nicole said...

FUN! I'm glad that you got Alyssa in Cheerleading, I bet'cha she's great at it!

I still have a silver dollar with a hole in the top that Grandpa gave to me. I remember him telling me that he through it over the river and George Washington shot a bullet through it and gave it to him. I remember I believed him for a while- until i realized that Grandpa wasn't alive while George Washington was.

Carrie said...

I remember that story too! I had forgotten about that one.

Hey Kim, I'm not good at commenting anymore. Your costume looked awesome - you did a great job!

NaDell said...

Looks like a fun Veteran's Day. I love stories from Grandparents. They always sound so much better than my own.
We spotted you guys out with Marcus during SC on Sunday. Brian made a face at us too. I'm glad he recognized us. Someday you guys can hang out more.

Kimberly Nicole said...

Oh! Thanks :-) We had fun making them.

Brooklet said...

i love the newspaper photo! I love to hear stories (whether they be true or not) of grandparents when the were younger!