Thursday, November 13, 2008

Why The Laundry Isn't Folded


So last night the plan was to clean the house as much as I could (hopefully with the kids' help), put the kids to bed, do a little bit of Wii Fit, talk to Brian on the computer, and fold our huge pile of laundry while watching Crusoe online.

The living room and kitchen were cleaned, we actually had scripture study, which we haven't really done since Brian moved out, I put the kids to bed, and did my little bit of Wii Fit. (I still haven't beaten Brian's hula hooping score.) Then I got on the computer to talk to Brian. We talked about his day, my day, the kids days...and then I did something I hadn't planned on doing. I checked blogs. I ended up looking at Shaille's newest post, which had a beautiful picture of the coolest idea ever: A Thankful Tree.

I coveted that tree. I had to have one! I didn't have any brown paper, so I went to my fabric tub and found a huge piece of brown felt. Yea! I was excited to use our silver marker on it (which we only use for special things, otherwise Alyssa would have worn it out by now) but the marker didn't show up on the felt. You could barely see it.

So I ended up going into full craft mode, and worked on the tree while watching tv, and then this morning we just went ahead and did a one shot "Put the Leaves Up Party" for our Thankful Tree. It was so much fun to look for the prettiest leaves in our yard with the kids. Alyssa drew some pictures and wrote some words on her leaves. Ethan scribbled, and Marcus wandered around the dining room table, wondering what we were all up to.

So I am thankful that Shaille posted her Thankful Tree, so we could have one of our very own.

7 comments:

NaDell said...

That tree is awesome! I think we need one too. The kids would like to collect the leaves.
The hula hooping on Wii Fit is hilarious! What's his score?

Kim-the-girl said...

I saw it too and loved it... we don't really have any pretty leaves here in TX thought! Bummer! I'm curious how you have it hanging on your wall... is it just tape or something like liquid starch?

Carrie said...

Kim, it's actually stapled to the wall. I tried tape, but the branches kept falling down. And I'm glad I took a picture first thing, because all of the leaves are droopy and closing up on themselves now.

Tonya said...

That is so awesome. I just love it!! Hula hooping on the Wii fit is so much fun.

Anonymous said...

I love you Carrie! Thanks for making us a giving tree!
-Megan (Your niece)

Anonymous said...

Carrie, don't forget to sign up for my give-away at meganmjohnson!
-Megan (again)

Shaillé said...

Carrie, that looks awesome!!!! And great idea using fabric - now you can just use the same tree each year (if you want to do it again that is). Something I did with our most recent round of collecting leaves is flattening them under a book. That way as they dry up they don't shrivel so much - it worked well. And we use lots of tape too. But that would be a pain if you're putting up all the leaves at once.

Anyway, great job - glad you got to make one with your kiddos. By the way, when did you get a Wii - we're jealous. :) How do you like Wii Fit - does it feel like a pretty good workout?