Friday, October 03, 2008

My Sanctuary....nice


A few weeks after we moved into this house, after spending 24/7 with my kids, without having a husband coming home every night for me to have grown up conversations with (if you can actually call conversations with Brian, "grown up"), I decided that I wanted my/our bedroom to be nice. I wanted it to be a grown up room. I wanted it to be a place where I can read a book after the kids go to bed, or where I could call Brian each evening, where I could go to be by myself and fee like an adult.

Every other time I've decorated Brian's and my bedroom, I made curtains out of unused flat sheets, and used things we already had to decorate. There's nothing wrong with that, but this time I wanted it to be just a little bit nicer. I already loved the black dressers that I painted a few years ago. I finished the headboard and footboard last spring. (Well, finished isn't quite right. Hurriedly finished is more like it. I want to sand them down a bit more and give them a better paint job next spring.) The headboard and footboard are made out of two doors from one of Brian's parent's rentals, and I love them!

So I already had a great starting place. I found the quilt set at Walmart, and was surprised to find that it was only $3.50 during check out. I searched the Tri-Cities for the right curtains (this is my first experience buying curtains, too) and found them at Target. I also got the sheets at Target, and they're red. I love that. I painted the room in one morning - I was quite impressed with myself. Although I was also impressed with Marcus's ability to crawl over the laundry basket barrier I put in the doorway. The pictures and other decorations I found for real cheap at Big Lots. And the "Together is a wonderful place to be," I got from my sister-in-law, Claire.

Anyway, now I've got a place to go that's just for me and Brian. It's worked out wonderfully. I really do feel like a grown up when I'm in my bedroom, and I don't feel like a grown up very often. Last week it helped, too, because when Brian was close to arriving home the house was still messy, and I could think, "At least our bedroom is clean and nice."

And I just might head up there right now, just for a second. I've got two boys trying to crawl on my lap. Marcus keeps hitting his head on the keyboard tray, and Ethan keps patting my arm with sticky fingers. So I'm going to give them some good loving, make Alyssa's lunch for school, then go take a look at my beautiful bedroom for just a moment. It'll be nice.

4 comments:

NaDell said...

Wow! How'd you get a quilt set for 3.50?!!! That must have just been great timing or something. I think I need to shop with you to make my house nicer. I'm sure you have plenty of time, right?

Kim-the-girl said...

I love the door head and foot boards! It all looks great, good job! I'm still working on our bedroom, but I agree it makes SUCH a difference! Thanks for the inspiration.

Cali said...

It looks awesome. You've done a beautiful job, and I'm sure that it really makes life nicer--to have a place for just you and Brian. Good job!

Shaillé said...

It looks great! I love how you do those lettering things on the wall - those are so fun.

Thanks for your comments on my blog about Twilight - I enjoy hearing what others have to say! I totally agree with your comments about the other three books - having Edward in her bedroom every night, etc. Breaking Dawn was just fresh in my mind so I was focusing on that book, but the other 3 books definitely have inappropriate things as well.

Breaking Dawn was my favorite in the series as well, and I agree that Bella matures a lot in this final book. She's finally found her "place" in the world.

Anyway, thanks again for your comments. :)