Thursday, April 03, 2008

Crunch!

Last night on my way to Activity Day Girls, I was stopped at the light on Pacific Avenue, right in front of Frye's Athletic Store. The sun was really bright and right in front of us. The girl behind us must have been blinded by it, because she didn't stop and slammed right into me. I could see her coming through the rear view mirror, but I didn't realize she was going to hit us until she did. Between the loud crunch of her hitting us and us hitting the car in front of us, I had two thoughts. The first was, "Oh my gosh," and the second, "Marcus is in the car." The second it was over, I turned around and checked him out, taking his seat belt off. Then I ran around the car and carefully pulled him out. As soon as he was in my arms, he stopped crying.

I pulled my purse out of the car, looking for my cell phone, but it was then that I remembered that it was plugged in at home. A very nice man let me borrow his so I could call Brian, and Brian was able to get Derek Ames to come watch the kids so he could come be with me.

We ended up taking Marcus to the emergency room, just to be totally sure that he was okay. The paramedics didn't really look at him - they just asked if he was acting normal, and when I said, "I think so," they went on. The fun thing about going to the hospital is that the nurses and doctors remembered Marcus from when he had problems with his circumcision, and it was great to catch up with them. Marcus even gave them huge smiles, and they said that they were much happier to see him this time.

It turned out to be a four-car pile up, but everyone was okay. A couple people from the first car left on stretchers, but the doctor at the hospital told us that they were just fine. It was scary, but we're okay, and I am so glad of that.

6 comments:

Tonya said...

Again, I am so glad you guys are safe and sound.

Kori said...

Ahhh... isn't that the worst feeling? Car crashes are horrible, whether it is your fault or not. I am glad everyone is okay.

Cam said...

Glad you were both okay, hopefully it's not too much trouble to get the car fixed!

Shaillé said...

Wow, that's crazy. We're so glad you and Marcus are okay!

Kimberly Nicole said...

Mom told me about that the other day. I'm so glad to know that you two are ok. The front of the car looks way better than I had pictured it. I guess I pictured it kind of like the back of the car is. It's scary to be in a car accident. I remember I kept apologizing to Amanda over and over again. It was really scary to think that just 4 more feet forward it would have got her.
just a hint, cell phones usually go with you ;-)
I'm glad you are ok.

Kim-the-girl said...

So glad you're OK! Good luck car shopping-that can be a pain