Wednesday, March 05, 2008

In a Vocabulary Rut

I go through phases sometimes when I notice that I use a particular word over an over again. Sometimes these phases last an hour or two, but sometimes they can last weeks.

Lately, a few of my frequently-used words are "beautiful" and "gorgeous." It is a beautiful, sunny day outside. It's gorgeous. The last piece of carrot cake I made for Family Council on Sunday isn't very beautiful, but when more of the cake sat on the platter instead of in my tummy, I would pass by the kitchen counter and think that it was just gorgeous. My over-use of these words probably stems from me telling Alyssa that she is beautiful and gorgeous every day. I usually say she looks beautiful, but when it's something specific I'll say, "That headband is gorgeous." I want to say these things frequently, though. I want her to grow up confident. (Yes, I tell her that's she's smart, funny, talented, etc., too.) See, I am not photogenic at all. I really don't like to have pictures taken of me, and I especially didn't like to be in photos when I was in high school. I thought I was funny looking, and it certainly didn't help that all of my friends were beautiful and gorgeous and always looked great in the pictures that I developed. Jamie says that a guy once told her that "every girl should look like Carrie Lewis," and I believe her (although I doubt he was completely sane when he said it - maybe it was early in the morning, before zero hour) but if she would have told me this during high school, I would think she was playing a trick on me. Anyway, I used to think I wasn't pretty, but I've come to terms with that now. When Brian and I were dating, he would say that I was pretty, and that I "sparkled" and that made me feel special. But what really did it was going to church with Alyssa and having people tell me that she looked exactly like me, a "rubber stamp." Well, I think that she's beautiful, so how can I not be? Well, it makes sense to me.

A short-lived vocabulary rut happened on Monday. I took the kids to go see "Enchanted" at the Compass Room theater (free, for us students) while Brian was studying. I was a little afraid to go by myself with three children, so I spent the drive to McMenamins telling them how good they needed to be, otherwise we would go home. We made it there a few minutes early, and we sat down, and the kids were being awesome. Yes, awesome. I haven't used that word in ages, but for some reason, I couldn't stop using it for that five minutes. "Okay, you guys, you are being awesome. You're doing an awesome job. I need you to be good for the whole movie, and that would be awesome. Just stay in your seats, sit still, and we'll have an awesome time..." I swear, the guy sitting behind us kept looking at me like I had no education whatsoever. We enjoyed the movie though. The kids were very well behaved, and it was awesome.

7 comments:

Kimberly Nicole said...

Carrie, I love all of your pictures. I'm making a website on our family for CPLA and I was looking at our family pictures and thought, I wish I was photogenic. I have that frustrating thing that mom has, when ever there's a camera pointed at me, I make a funny face. I think it's because I feel put on the spot and "acting". Anyways, I remember sitting on the chair when I was in high school and looking at senior picture and admiring/envying that you were so perfect in your pictures. If only I could be that way.

I like the word "sparkle". that's so sweet that Brian uses that. Brian tells me that I'm elegant. That's the first time that word has ever been used to describe me. I love it!

Carrie said...

Yeah, you're elegant when you're falling down the stairs!

Thanks Kim, but I don't think senior pictures count. That's funny, though, 'cause I love how yours turned out.

Brooklet said...

I love this post, not because I think you are right, but because it is so well written.

Now for the parts that you are wrong about- what?? Your not photogenic?? I have always thought you were very pretty. I should post a pic I have from you in fifth grade, I think you would like it. And sparkle is the perfect word for you- every part of you sparkles.

I am not going to pretend that I was one of your pretty friends in high school. I fully accept that high school wasn't a 'pretty' time for me, and I don't care one iota. Honestly.

Carrie said...

Brooke, what are you talking about? Of course you were one of my gorgeous friends. I have always wanted to have hair like yours.

It's funny, because I'm really not that old, but high school feels like it happened forever ago.

Kim-the-girl said...

I just don't see whats wrong with the word "awesome" I think it totally rocks! ;o)

Carrie said...

Oh, I love the word awesome, too. I just find myself saying it all the time, lately.

Kimberly Nicole said...

heheh... yeah, I know
In all defense, I haven't fallen down or up the stairs in a long time!