Friday, March 07, 2008

Bringin' Back the Do-Rag

Okay, here's a little hair history. I grew up with stick-straight hair. Both of my sisters have beautiful curly hair, and I was always jealous of them. It took me 24 years to come to love my straight hair, and just when I did, it started to grow curly. Being pregnant with Ethan affected my hormones in huge ways, and my once-straight hair had cute little wavy curls in it. I loved it...for about a year. Marcus's pregnancy decided to mess around with those hormones a bit more, and the end result (I wish I would have gotten a before picture) was a short, feathered, not quite curly, not quite straight, but not even wavy kind of hair do. If I didn't curl it every day and clip it back, I looked like David Cassidy from the "Partridge Family," but with not quite such a big smile. It took a little bit of thinking, and I decided that getting a perm is not just an 80's thing to do, so I headed to the salon to get back those slight curls that Ethan had given me.

The lady said that the biggest curler would give be "body" and "volume," so I opted for the second to biggest, because my hair's body was the problem I was trying to get rid of. So now it looks like this:

These pictures were taken right after we got home, and I was on the phone with my sister, telling her I look like a poodle. And I purposefully didn't do my make up yesterday, because I wanted to do a dumpy, gloomy before picture (why don't they ever smile?) and then later do a made up, happy, glowing after picture with my new do. The thing is, I never got around to doing my make up, and Brian followed me around the house with the camera the minute I stepped through the door. The phone conversation went like this:

Carrie: I look like a poodle! It's so curly! Brian, stop taking my picture!

Christina: No, post the pictures so I can see what it looks like.

Over the past 12 hours I have evolved from thinking that I look like a poodle. I can also compare myself to the kid on "Boy Meets World" or Screech from "Saved by the Bell." But overall, even though it's curlier than I expected, I think I'm going to like it once I get used to it. I might wear a scarf or handkerchief on my head for a couple of days, though, just to ease into the transition.

7 comments:

Cali said...

I love perms! Especially with short hair. You can buy some bobby pins and twist your hair all sorts of fun ways, and hide the pins in the curls. I think it looks great.

Kimberly Nicole said...

I think it's really cute, especially from the front.

Ethan said...

I completely feel your pain with the hormonal changes to hair, mine went from pretty and straight to half wavy...the top half is still straight, but the under side is really wavy. I've considered a perm or a chemical straightening but haven't been brought to that yet, we'll see where this pregnancy takes me. Yours looks great (and I'm sure it will relax as time goes by a bit) maybe you'll be my inspiration.

Kim-the-girl said...

I always do that on your blog...my husband does NOT have hormonally curly hair and I don't think you'll be inspiring him to perm his hair no matter how cute yours is. The above comment is from me. ;o)

Brooklet said...

I think it is cute- it will relax in a few days and you will have SO many cute ways to wear it and style it and I bet it will take hardly any time at all to style each day!

Carrie said...

Ethan- I mean Kim- that's exactly how mine was. The top and front was straight, and the back was kind of wavy. I'm actually really enjoying the new curls. I think I may make it more of a permanent (ha, that's what it's called - a perm!) thing, but just go with bigger curls as my hair gets longer.

Shaillé said...

I noticed your hair last night and thought it looked cute! I forgot to mention it, I was a little distracted by the evening's events...It was fun, thanks for inviting us. :)