Sunday, February 17, 2008

So Hard to Keep Up

When you were a kid, did you ever go to the mall and run up the down escalator, and you would try and try, but you would never quite make it to the top? That is exactly how I'm feeling at this moment. I'm running - at least it feels like I'm running - and I'm not going anywhere.

I have baskets of dirty laundry. I have baskets of clean laundry. I have a load of clothes in the dryer and a load of towels in the washer. The dishes in the dishwasher are finally clean, but if I want to go to bed with a clean kitchen I've got to clean it out and fill it again. I know, I should be thankful that I have a dishwasher.

It's just that sometimes I feel like I've got everything together. The house is clean, the kids are reasonably clean, and I can take a few moments to enjoy the peace of knowing that my job is "done." Then five minutes later, chaos breaks out. Or I'll be thinking about my life and I'll start to congratulate myself on all the wonderful things that I'm accomplishing each day and I'll think, "Yeah, I've got it all together."

Then I have a night like tonight where I'm behind on everything and the house is a mess when the home teachers come over (the broom is still leaning against the wall, and it will probably still be there tomorrow when you all read this) and Alyssa keeps biting her knuckles until they crack and bleed and there's piles of dirty laundry on the bathroom floor. A little while ago I pulled back the covers on Ethan's bed and I saw this ugly bug running all around the blanket. "What is that?" I asked Brian after he came into the room. "A silverfish," he replied, to which I questioned: "What the heck is it doing in my son's bed?!?" I was close to tears, and Brian calmly said, "Swimming," and left the room. The silverfish is now swimming in a tightly wrapped piece of toilet paper somewhere in the sewer system of Forest Grove.

I think I'm calm now. I'm resigned to the fact that the laundry will never be done, and it should only take a few minutes to get the dishwasher emptied and filled again, then I can go to bed.

2 comments:

Jillybean said...

I feel your pain!
I don't think I will ever catch up with the laundry.
Or the dishes.
I got my kitchen almost clean today, then went to a meeting tonight, and came home to a new mess in the kitchen.
I told my darling daughter that we have too much stuff, and needed to get rid of it some of it so our house could be clean and she says "Why don't we just move into a bigger house?"
Tomorrow, I visit the kids rooms with a big garbage bag ;0)

Kimberly Nicole said...

i remember last night you calling mom and telling her you were going to bed at...8:14. I understand with not catching up, but it's not with house work...well kind of, with my busy school/work schedule i only have one day a week to clean my room, and it seems like i never get it fully clean that day, no matter how hard i try and so then during the rest of the week it only gets dirtier. it's frustrating. I can't wait until my life is a bit easier after this quarter and I'm only taking 6 credits compared to 18 (with a 30 hour service project)...