Sunday, February 03, 2008

Call for Creativity (A Competition)

With Brooke celebrating her 100th post and giving away a super fabulous box of Valentines decorations, it made me start thinking...I didn't do anything for my 100th post. I don't even think I noticed it. And then I thought, "If I had noticed it, what would I have given away?"

This line of thinking was also accompanied by my worrying over what to make for the PAVA (Pacific Association for Vision Awareness - right?) bake sale this week. The other two times that I had volunteered to make things for the bake sale, my goodies didn't sell, even though I used recipes that my mom got from her friend who owned a catering business and deli. I made the huge yummy sugar cookies (made with powdered sugar) that I absolutely love, and I think two of the cookie sets sold. I can't remember what I made the other times, but I do remember that they didn't do any better.

While going through my mental list of recipes, I remembered Brian's caramels. Everyone - and I mean everyone - loves Brian's caramels. Usually when we make them, I mix the ingredients together and get them simmering on the stove top. And even though it sounds like I'm doing all the work, the caramels never turn out unless Brian is supervising and tells me when they are done, which is why we call them "Brian's Caramels." One time I cooked them too long and they were harder than toffee. Another time I made them too soft and they didn't set right. Even when I used a candy thermometer, they didn't turn out as good as the times when Brian tests the boiling mixture and declares, "they're done."

So tomorrow afternoon Brian and I will be making a huge pan of caramels and bagging them up for the bake sale. I'll be sure to post pictures so you can all tell your husbands to buy some so I don't get my feelings hurt. Again. (Only kidding!) I have to make 10 bags, but I'll be sure to make one extra - and this is where the competition comes in.

For the last couple of weeks we have been having family council on Sunday evenings. One portion of family council is the Caught Being Good Awards. Basically, I watch the kids and Brian throughout the week and make note of good things they do, then they get a special award during family council. (Thanks for the idea, Chris!) The award is just a slip of paper that says, "I was caught being good" and has the good deed written on the back. I told everyone that we would put the slips of paper in a box and in a few weeks we would draw a name for a special prize. Alyssa wants that special prize to be a trophy that we pass back and forth each week. I figure that I could easily spray paint something (or a glued together hodgepodge of something's) gold or silver and make a trophy, or do something else altogether. But the question is:

What should the trophy be made out of?

If you have any ideas of something I could use to make this trophy, submit them to my "notes" section by Tuesday night at midnight and I will either:
  1. put all of your names in a hat and draw a winner
  2. pick my favorite idea to use, and whoever submitted it will be the winner
I haven't quite decided which yet, but I can promise you, by the end of this week, someone, somewhere will be chewing soft, delicious caramels.

10 comments:

Carrie said...

Brian mentioned that we can have more than one winner. I guess it depends on how many bags we make.

Brooklet said...

Ooh. this is fun! I keep thinking about a search light, you know that they catch people sneaking out of prison. YOu were 'Caught' being good- you could use a flashlight as a trophy, but bejewel the heck out of it, or something. Then when you announce who you caught you could just shine it on them, like they got caught.

Thats idea number one. I am going to keep thinking, because you didn't say we could only enter one idea!!!!

5dollarFanatic said...

I was thinking of a giant ctr ring that when placed on ones head would make a perfect crown. The ctr could stand for "choose the righteous". Not too original but I know my kids love wearing crowns-(ofcourse they are all girls) but there you have it.

Carrie said...

These are great! Keep 'em comin'.

KellyAnne said...

I was thinking you could use some kind of doll or barbie or fairy and make it look like an angel (you know, like, you're such an angel for being so good). Spray painted gold? Maybe with a halo? I don't know. Something like that. :)

KellyAnne said...

I can't believe no one bought your cookies! My husband LOVES sugar cookies. I'm sure they were great, everyone missed out!

we share: said...

I think you should buy the little wooden letters at the craft store- CBG... then nail or hot glue them to a peice of wood so they stand up and spray paint it all gold or silver. You could even stack them on top of each other like this:
C
B
G
-

there you go... FYI -I love carmals! I think I am going to tell Derek to buy some and bring them home to me!

Kim-the-girl said...

I seem to remember your sugar cookies selling pretty well-didn't you put yellow frosting on them? I'm sorry that the bake sale experience was disappointing for you in the past, but I really appreciated your help!

For a trophy...you could take some small item that is representative of each of you and arrange it in a tin can, like a family bouquet. Using items like a car for Ethan, a pair of glasses for Brian?, a book for Alyssa...you get the idea. You could spray paint the bouquet if you wanted, or leave it a colorful bouquet.

Cali said...

Here's my suggestion:

1. So it isn't exactly a trophy of sorts that you would pass around each week, but I like it anyway:

Do you have any sort of box with a lock on it? (And the key, of course!) My kids LOVE to unlock things! You could let whomever won unlock the box, and inside you could have whatever prize you are doing for that week.

For example, a picture of the Savior that the child--or Brian if he won!-- could hang on the wall, a pencil or pen that could be used to help you write the notes (more appropriate for Alyssa), a CTR ring, a treat, a "golden ticket" good for one outing with mom, etc... you get the idea.

The gifts inside the box could be as simple or complex as you want them to be. Of course, you have to plan a little more often to have something ready every week--so maybee that's a drawback. But it's still kind of fun to unlock the prize for being good!

2. For a trophy of sorts, you could do a wreath of sorts--something that Alyssa and Ethen could wear like a crown, or you and Brian could hang somewhere.

BTW--your caramels look DIVINE! Thanks so much for your help.

Kim-the-girl said...

OOHH! If you do the box idea that Cali suggested, it would be really fun to have whoever won the previous week be in charge of the prize for the next week.I'm sure Alyssa would get a kick out of that!