Saturday, December 08, 2007

A Random Act of Kindness

Today I went grocery shopping with Alyssa and Marcus. Alyssa was her usual self, fluttering around WinCo from aisle to aisle, with me patiently (then impatiently) telling her to stay close and slow down. Marcus was happy and calm until we got stuck with the dairy products, where I believe it was close to 5 degrees Fahrenheit - really cold. That's when Marcus started crying. We were almost done, so Alyssa and I ran to pick up some Italian bread and hamburger buns, then we were lucky to find a register that was open and empty. We hurried along, with Marcus crying, trying to be done as soon as possible so we could get home and feed him.

While I was loading our groceries a very nice lady came up behind me and said, "Hey Mom. Let me pack your groceries for you." I very happily let her and picked up Marcus, who was happy the instant he was out of his car seat. Apparently this lady has six kids (only two of her daughters were with her) and knew that sometimes these things (crying babies) happen, and the lady next to her in line said to her, "Why doesn't she just pick up her baby?!?"

This wonderful lady loaded my groceries, pushed my cart out, and then loaded the groceries into my car. I held Marcus until everything was in, and by that time he was perfectly happy to go back in the car seat. I will always remember her kindness, and I hope I can pass it along to another mom with young kids someday.

7 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

That is so great! I didn't shop at WinCo if I didn't have Ethan, it was too stressful trying to take care of the kids and all the bagging, we paid extra for the service, but being helped out makes SUCH a difference. I am so glad their are people who are kind and ACT on it. I, too, will try to pay this one forward. Thanks for sharing!

KellyAnne said...

Wow, that would have made my day!! I never had a good shopping day at WinCo. I do miss their prices though. Now I have learned to swallow my pride and let the baggers help me out to my car. I never used to do that before I had three kids. But it helps soooooo much.
I'm glad someone was so nice to you! We all need to be a little more like that!

KellyAnne said...

Wow, that would have made my day!! I never had a good shopping day at WinCo. I do miss their prices though. Now I have learned to swallow my pride and let the baggers help me out to my car. I never used to do that before I had three kids. But it helps soooooo much.
I'm glad someone was so nice to you! We all need to be a little more like that!

Tonya said...

That's so awesome. It's always good to see that kind of thing in today's busy world. I'm glad she was there to help.

Brooklet said...

I am always so grateful to hear stories like that- because I don't think many people actually think of helping- they just stand there, thinking, why can't she hush the baby up. Its the moms and the pure of heart who have been there and understand.

Once in Joanns the line was so long for fabric and Claire was about 18 months and throwing a humungo fit. I was standing in line, holding my fabric and holding a kicking and flailing, screaming and crying child. A lady who had a number sooner than mine gave it to me- I was so touched, I started to cry and I couldn't get the words out to say thanks. It meant a lot.

Wendi said...

Thats so great. Its always nice to hear stories like this that reaffirm that there is still some common human kindness out there.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.