Sunday, December 02, 2007

Nobody Likes a Grumpy Princess

I've always considered myself to be a happy, upbeat kind of person. You know, try to look on the bright side, search for the silver lining, always see the glass as half full. For most of my life it's worked pretty well. I can't say that I was never angry, sad, or grumpy, but I was generally happy and content with life.

During the past three and half weeks I've heard many people say that going from two kids to three is a lot harder than one to two. Whether or not this is true for everybody, it has definitely been true for me. I feel like I'm being stretched in five different directions at once. (Yes, three kids equal five directions.) No matter how many times I clean the kitchen each day, it's still dirty when I go in to make breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The laundry piles up faster than I can run it through the washer and dryer. It just seems that everything chooses the worst times to happen, and everything piles up on everything else, and I go berserk. I stress out. I yell at my kids. I complain to my husband. To be perfectly frank, I have been a grump, and I don't like it.

Last night Alyssa and I went to see "Enchanted." It's about a cartoon princess, Giselle, who gets thrown into the real world. I loved watching Giselle talk, and sing, and dance. She looks so happy. There is one scene where she asks Robert if he is unhappy, and he replies "Unhappy? No, I am angry!" She doesn't understand the emotion anger at this point in the film. She understands unhappiness and sadness, but not anger. She doesn't comprehend rudeness or harsh, mean words. Even when her tiara was stolen by an old homeless man, she was still quite polite to him.

Something that I've been realizing lately is that when things go wrong, it's okay to be unhappy or sad, or even upset. But it's not okay to get angry and grumpy and make everyone else miserable.

We were late for church this morning, and for a while I was short and rude to Brian and the kids. Then I noticed that Alyssa was starting to talk exactly like I was. My horrible rotten mood was rubbing off on my daughter, and my little princess wasn't acting like a princess at all.

I don't want to be a grumpy princess. I don't want to be the negative person that no one likes to be around. My goal for this week is to be in control of my emotions during those times when I have no control over anything else. I want to be happy, and I want to at least treat my family with kindness during those times when I am unhappy. It may sound a little silly, but I see nothing wrong with acting like a princess, as long as you're a gentle and kind and loving princess, not a grumpy princess.

9 comments:

we share: said...

that's a pretty true point- but it's so hard not to stress out at times!!! well... three kids is a lot to handle so you deserve a pat on the back. i love the way you put things on your blog- it is so fun to read. check ours out: amesbloggers.blogspot.com

char

Kim-the-girl said...

I just had this conversation with Ethan last night! And I'm trying to be open with my weaknesses rather than putting on my happy face for all to see and then exploding at my kids. Thanks for sharing and for reminding me that I'm not alone! You are awesome!

Tonya said...

I only have one child and that's hard to handle sometimes so I can't imagine adjusting to 3. From what I know,you are a very upbeat positive person so don't beat yourself up to much. We all have our moments but isn't it great that the sun comes up each day and we get another chance.

Katie B.C. said...

Very enlightening- I'll have to remember how hard 3 kids are when we finally catch up to you guys!

KellyAnne said...

Hi Carrie! I don't know that I've ever commented on your blog but I check it out all the time! I just had to put in my 2 cents about the 3 kids thing. It's hard!! My baby is a year old now and I still can't help but think how hard it is day to day. But definitely SO fun and rewarding at the most surprising times. I know you'll do great, you're a fantastic mom and a fun, good person. Your family is lucky to have you! I think, looking back over this last year, the one thing I can say I've learned is that it's ok to let some things go, and even to say 'oh well' when things don't go very well. Those first months are hard but don't worry, it always gets better! ;)

Terra said...

Great perspective. I so want to see that movie.

tharker said...

I'm a grumpy princess sometimes too, but I never notice how grumpy I am until I begin seeing my kids mirroring my poor behavior. Those darn kids teach us so stinking much!!!

I also just read your story about your sweet little baby. I am SO happy that he is okay. What an awful night that must have been for you. Heavenly Father truly knows us individually and hears each one of our prayers. I am so thankful that he listened and answered your and Brian's prayers that night.

Brooklet said...

YOu are one of the most positive and upbeat people I know, but that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to be grumpy here and there. But I agree, I think its better for yourself and everyone around you if you address the frustrations, anger, tiredness in its proper time and form, rather than dragging it out in a grumpy state all day. I always feel so guilty when I am grumpy, that it doesn't even feel worth it to stay grumpy.


I am excited to take Claire to see Enchanted. Okay, I am mostly excited for my own sake to see it!

Carrie said...

I was excited to take Alyssa to see Enchanted, too. But I'm really the one that really-really wanted to see it.