Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Mother's Christmas

When I was little I was one of those girls who knew that she would grow up to be a mother. In Kindergarten, I dressed up as a ballerina for Future Career Day, but I think even then I knew that that would never pan out, and that I would need a fall back plan. When people would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would say, "A mom." I was also one of those girls who went to Brigham Young University, because I wanted to meet a handsome returned missionary, get married, and have babies. I had goals for graduation too, but it's obvious that those goals came second. Soon after getting married, I became pregnant when we weren't "trying" to get pregnant. The baby miscarried, and after that I felt so strongly that someone was waiting to come join our family. When Alyssa was born, and I held my beautiful little girl in my arms, I realized the dream of becoming a mother had come true.

I've always loved pictures that illustrate the Virgin Mary holding baby Jesus. There is something so beautiful about the love a mother has for her child and about the love that Mary must have felt for the newborn Christ. When the angel Gabriel came to Mary he said of her baby "He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest...shall be called the Son of God." (Luke 1:32,35) There is a Christmas song that asks the question, "Mary, did you know?" It reviews the events of Christ's life, asking if Mary knew of the things to come - that Jesus would heal the sick, perform miracles, atone for our sins, and give up his life. While Mary could not have known exactly what Christ would do during his time on earth, she probably knew more than anybody who Christ was, that he was the son of God. When a mother holds her babies, she can feel the sweet spirit that they have and know that they come from Heavenly Father. How then, could Mary not have known and felt the divinity of our Savior, even when he was a tiny baby?

Mary must have been a wonderful mother. The Lord must have chosen the greatest of all women to raise the Savior of the World. She must have had great patience, love, and understanding. She must have spent many nights on her knees, pleading for guidance and inspiration. She probably felt great pride when her son performed miracles and taught the people the Gospel; fear when he was accused and hunted down to be taken before Pilate; and sorrow when he was lifted on the cross. But she must also have felt great joy to know of his resurrection and to know that he atoned for the sins of the world so that all people could repent and return to our Heavenly Father. Being the mother of Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God, the Redeemer and Savior of the World, must have been overwhelming and scary at times, but like all mothers, Mary was filled with love for her child. And with that love she overcame any doubts or fears that she might have had so that she could bring up her child in righteousness and truth, just as all mothers should.

6 comments:

Kimberly Nicole said...

You have such a great testimony. Thank you for sharing it with us. Thank you for reminding me of my goals and what I should be focusing on, especially right now. It was the extra push that I needed. Thank you.
Love,
Kimberly

Cali said...

Beautifully worded, Carrie. I too am grateful to be a mother, and reading your thoughts. I've never considered this perspective before. You are a wonderful mother, and I look up to you. Have a wonderful day!

Tonya said...

Wow Carrie, what a great post about being a mother. I really love the artwork as well. Being a mother is more than I ever dreamed. So much love, joy, stress, worry etc. I'm so thankful to be a mom.

Kim-the-girl said...

Thank you Carrie, that was lovely. When I was pregnant with Bryant I MCed a Christmas program put on by the Ogden Institute...I had to talk about my feelings of anticipation in relation to Mary's I wish I would have had these words to fill my mouth, they are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I love that picture by Simon Dewey. I also love that book you gave Mom about Christ's life told through Mary's eyes.

Terra said...

Beautiful post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.