Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Choices, Choices, Choices

Those of you who have heard how my delivery went with Alyssa, know that things did not go incredibly well. I labored for 22 hours and ended up with a c-section. Afterward, when I asked the certified nurse midwife if he thought I would be able to have a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) in the future, he said that I could try, but that he thought it wasn't very likely. Fast forward to the next time I was pregnant, after asking the midwife what she thought about a VBAC, she did an internal exam and said that my pelvic opening was more funnel-shaped than most ladies' and she didn't think it very likely.

So when I got pregnant with Ethan, I figured that since two different midwives (aren't they supposed to be pro natural?) said that a VBAC wouldn't work for me, I went ahead and scheduled a c-section. Everything went great, the recovery wasn't too bad, and I healed extremely fast (for a section) and extremely well.

But now that I'm pregnant again, and nearing the end, I just keep thinking that it would be so nice to have a vaginal delivery and to not have to worry about the recovery from a c-section. I just wish that I would have thought this before Ethan came around, because now I have the history of two c-sections behind me, instead of just one.

So I've been talking with my sister (who just had her sixth baby, the last five being VBAC's) and looking things up online, and I feel pretty positive about the whole thing. The only thing is, I haven't been able to talk with my doctor about it yet. I tried to get in for a quick, just-talk-to-you appointment, but they didn't have any openings until two days before my next appointment, anyway. So Brian and I will go in on Friday afternoon to see what he thinks.

1 comment:

Cali said...

Hey Carrie--I hope that your doctor will let you try for a VBAC! I never want to have another C-Section again! Collin's recovery was so much better than Olivia's! Good luck!