Monday, June 25, 2007

A Most Welcome Surprise

I usually go grocery shopping on Mondays, but this weekend I made an emergency run to Safeway for milk and butter on Saturday night, and the chicken salad sandwiches that were planned for Sundays dinner were replaced with Brian taking a nap and the kids and I snacking on banana bread. So I got up this morning and decided that with dinner taken care of, we didn't need to go grocery shopping until tomorrow. But then I discovered that Brian didn't have class until one o'clock, and I ended up making the chicken salad sandwiches for lunch.

When Brian came home from his one o'clock class (shortly after two o'clock, talk about your easy day) we sat in the living room to discuss what to make for dinner. I mentally went through our cupboards and the freezer, but I couldn't come up with anything but spaghetti, which is a risky thing to make in our family. Alyssa only likes spaghetti half of the time.

To our surprise there was a knock on the door, and Debbi Burtlow stood on our porch with an uncooked casserole. She handed it to Brian, and I stood there with my mouth hanging open. None of us are sick. We're not in the hospital. Could she be delivering dinner to the wrong house? She explained that someone brought her dinner a while back and told her to pass along the pan by bringing dinner to someone else. Hallelujah! Dinner was on!

I decided that since all I had to do for dinner was to pop it in the oven, and since Brian was home to watch the kids, that I would take an afternoon nap. The nap was wonderful, and dinner was so yummy! Now we just have to figure out who to take dinner to once the pan is clean.




* * *

This next picture is just me bragging about the beautiful pie that Ethan and I made for Family Home Evening. I was going to make a pie using a jell-o salad recipe with cool whip and vanilla yogurt and raspberry jell-o, but halfway through mixing it together Ethan and I (oh, and my mom too, I was on the phone with her) decided to add chocolate pudding instead of jell-o. I was afraid that the raspberries on top would be too tart for the pudding, but it turned out delicious. I wish I would have added more raspberries!

2 comments:

Brooklet said...

I like the idea of passing a "dinner" pan around. What a fun and considerate suprise.

The pie does look wonderful- I love fresh raspberries!!!

Kimberly Nicole said...

That's awesome. It's a great idea to start. free dinner-already made, afternoon nap, and wonderful dessert... sounds like a great day!