Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Hot Chocolate

We woke up this morning to snow! The car was covered when I went to the gym, then it was recovered (I know, that's not the real use of this word.) when I came out of the gym. It's fun to have snow, but I want it to be Spring! Our daffodils have popped up and are almost ready to bloom, and there's snow on the ground! In the past few days, whenever I say, "I'm so tired..." Brian can easily finish it by saying, "...of being cold." I've been cold to the bones for so long, and I'm tired of it!

So, in honor of the snow, I'm posting our favorite hot chocolate recipe. We had Williams and Sonoma Hot Chocolate at the Genning's, so I went home and while looking for the recipe, found out that "hot cocoa" is made from combining water or milk with a powder, and "Hot chocolate" is when you combine water or milk with real chocolate shavings. So here it is:

3 cups milk
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate, grated*
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg

We upped the chocolate to 2/3 cups. Milk chocolate would be yummy.


Beat the egg. (We used our Thunderstick. You want it beaten really really well, or it will be yucky lumpy.) Heat the milk in a sauce pan, whisk in the chocolate, sugar, and cinnamon. Whisk in the egg and heat a little bit more to make sure the egg is cooked. Do not boil.

3 comments:

Brooklet said...

Very interesting- I never knew the difference between hot cocoa and hot chocolate- I always used the terms interchangeably. But one day, when I am very brave (cause the egg sounds scary) I will make REAL hot chocolate!

Carrie said...

The egg scared me, too. I almost left it out, but I figured if I was following a recipe, I should follow the recipe. And it turned out great!

You just have to make sure it is really, really, beaten up. I found the recipe on allrecipes.com, and most of the comments about it were that the egg was lumpy or stringy.

Brooklet said...

more recipes please- I have enjoyed seeing new recipes to try.