Monday, February 12, 2007

Eeyore Quote Goes Here

I am having just a "blah" sort of day. Nothing bad has happened, it's actually been a pretty good day. I'm just feeling..."blah." I'm so glad that it hasn't rubbed off on the kids. Both Alyssa and Ethan are sitting at the table eating their corn dogs, just laughing up a storm.

I guess it all started yesterday. Brian and I got into a fight that was one of those arguments that start over nothing and escalate to trying to one-up the other by finding fault with every little thing they're saying. It was absolutely ridiculous. We eventually calmed down and talked about things and worked it all out. Brian hates the working it all out part. He's one of those guys that like to figure it out on his own and come back and be happy, and I'm one of those girls that have to talk it out three or four times before I feel better about it. And actually, our talking it out was cut a little short (didn't even make it to the second round) so maybe that's why I've got the blues today. I haven't completely worked the argument out of my system.

It's so funny though. We don't argue that often, but we always have the life-altering, spouse-threatening fights right before holidays. Valentine's Day is Wednesday, our anniversary is on Friday. I can't think of a single New Years Eve since we've been married that we didn't get into a fight. I don't know if I feel extra emotional stress around these times. Not like the stress people get around Christmas, where you have to cook and bake and entertain and shop; but a stress where I'm evaluating who I am and where I want to be, or who Brian and I are as a couple and where I want us to be. If things in my life don't align perfectly with the way I want it to be in my mind, I start nagging Brian.

"We need to do better with couple prayer."

"We're not having regular family scripture study."

"Why don't you spend more time with me?"

"What are we going to do about this?"

I realize that we're not perfect. I realize that sometimes we're going to be on track with things, and at other times we're not. We have gotten very good at having Family Home Evening and family prayer, and I'm proud of that. We do need to keep trying to progress and improve ourselves, but we also need to congratulate ourselves on the things that we are doing right. I need to be able to set goals for our family without concentrating on every little thing that we're NOT doing.

So now Brian is at school and he has a super hard test tomorrow so he'll probably be studying non-stop until it's over. And I'm sitting at home trying to figure out how to get over this rotten feeling. Actually, I believe this is re-hash number three, so I am feeling better. I think I'll pop the sparkling cider that's on the wine shelf (yeah, we have these cute little square cubbies built into our cupboards. I'm assuming it's a wine shelf) into the fridge so we can make dinner a little more special. I think we'll even light candles. That should brighten things up around here.

1 comment:

Brooklet said...

I am the same way. If we get in a fight, I hate the seperate and cool off phase. I just want to talk it out, fast so that we can feel better again. I hate the feeling of being upset. But Cody is more of a give-me-distance-and-I-will-just-let-it-go. But I have to talk it out.

I hope it made you feel better to write it out- I figure several people read your blog, so its really like you told is 7 times!