Monday, December 31, 2012

Summing Up 2012

 1. Just before Thanksgiving, we welcomed two little kittens into our home.  We had been talking about getting one kitten off and on for a couple of months, mostly for Alyssa to have a special furry friend and all of the responsibilities that go along with it.  We looked at a couple of kittens from the Humane Society and Craigslist, then Brian and I went to Petco after a doctor appointment (No, I'm not pregnant, I've got crazy back problems.) to see what they had, and we found two cute little sisters that had been born in the wild and taken in by the adoption agency that is housed by Petco.  Brian and I each held one, and they both snuggled into us, and he wanted to get the one he was holding, and I wanted to get the one I was holding, and since they were sisters, we didn't want to split them up, so we brought them both home.

The kids were so excited.  We named them Dinah and Ginger.  A couple days later, I was holding one and said to Brian, "You know, this looks like a little boy cat to me."  Since thy had both been fixed, and we didn't know how that changed the outside appearance, we decided to trust the adoption people.  Then Brian took them in to the vet, because the colds they had when we got them didn't go away, and he was told there that they are indeed boys.  At this point we don't even know if they rally are brothers.  It took almost a week to decided on their new, more manly names, and now the gray one is Domino and the orange one is Julius.  Julius' full name is actually Mandarin Orange Julius Caesar Salad Fork.  Brian and I came up with it one morning, and the kids think it's hilarious.  (See, each pair of words make sense: mandarin orange, orange julius, etc., but together they don't make any sense at all.  Fun.)

They are both very sweet cats, who are all about giving love, sitting on laps, letting Becca carry them around, sometimes upside down, by their skin, and loving Brian so much that they sometimes (Julius especially) grab his face and lick the inside of his nostrils while he's sleeping.



when we first brought them home

a couple weeks later

2. Brian loves crullers so much that he looked up a recipe and we learned how to make them.  We've done them a couple of times now, and they've gotten a lot prettier than this first attempt.  And I think they taste better than the doughnut shop ones, too.



 3. We had my family over for Thanksgiving on the Friday after Thanksgiving.  Everyone brought yummy food, and we had a good time.



4. Becca went through a phase for a couple of weeks where she liked to pull one arm out of her shirt.  We don't know why, but my mom thinks it might be from when we had to do funny things with her shirt when she had her cast on?  Whatever it was, it was cute.


5. It didn't take long after decorating for our tree to just have the ornaments start at three and a half feet up.   The kids and I decorated it after Alyssa and Ethan got home from MCP just after Thanksgiving.  I put the garland on and let the kids do all the rest.






6. We almost missed the Cousin Christmas Talent Show, because our home teachers came a half hour late and ended up staying a quite a while.  It was probably the best Home Teaching lesson we've ever gotten, though.  When we finally got to my sister's house, we had missed everyone's performances, and we had to gather all the kids together so Alyssa could play "Away in a Manger" and Ethan could play "Jingle Bells" on the piano.  Marcus was supposed to read a Rubric nativity story with me, but he refused and ended up break dancing without music instead.



7. Rebecca loves apples, and you can see by the fact that she has one in her hands and one discarded beside her, she especially loves to steal apples from her brothers and sister.




8. She also didn't get a nap one day before Christmas and ended up falling asleep on the family room floor.



9. Decorating sugar cookies on Christmas Eve.




And 10. Everyone waiting to go see what Santa brought on Christmas morning.  I didn't take very many pictures of Christmas, but it was a good one.  We enjoyed our Santa presents for a bit, then Brian's parents came over for our now traditional crepe breakfast, with Brian in charge, which is my favorite part.  Then we opened all the other presents, and I loved it, because we spent time in between each opening to take things out of boxes and play with them before going on to the next round.  It made for a longer, more relaxed morning, and I hope we can keep that going every year.


Oops, I forgot to add the pictures from my phone.

11. Brian and I participated in a Murder Mystery type skit for a fundraiser for a local Autism foundation.  We were asked to do it because of my involvement in Tombstone Tales, and we ended up having so much fun.  Before we went to the first rehearsal Brian was saying that he really didn't want to do it, but even he ended up having a great time.  The story was that we were all actors and actresses or directors, casting directors, agents, etc. and we were at a party after a huge awards ceremony.  We were all waiting for Hobart Hughes to  tell us who would be starring in his next major film, and we all hoped the leading lady wouldn't be Angel (the Autism director) for varius different reasons, then someone ended up killing Angel, and the audience had to guess which of us did it.

My niece, Megan, played a young pop star named Barbie Doll, and she did a fabulous job while looking incredibly beautiful.  Brian and I played Mario Star and Lola Star, and I was afraid the whole night that Angel was trying to steal him away from me.  During the mingling session, I would sometimes go up to a group of people and ask if they had seen my husband, complain about that darn Angel, and then, depending on if we found him close to her or away from her, either go into hysterics or praise my husband for keeping his distance from her.



 12. Alyssa performed in the Mid Columbia Ballet's production of the Nutcracker for the first time.  Obviously, she was a soldier.  We weren't supposed to take pictures of them in their make up, but all the other moms were doing it (I know, not a valid excuse) and I really wanted something to put on the blog.  She was a cute little soldier, and we ended up finding a new friend in a girl who goes to MCP (but on a different day) and did Kindergarten twice, just like Alyssa, because her mom felt she wasn't ready for first grade because he birthday is in the summer, just like Alyssa.  I was actually surprised to find out that there were at least three kids in the soldier group that were home schooled.  I guess it's not so uncommon anymore?


building a tower with a few other girls - this is also proof at what a bad Nutcracker mom I was.  I stood there granting their request to take pictures and told them how cool they were, just before we heard a yell to get off the table.  It was only then that I realized, "Oh yeah, I guess it's not that safe."
 12.  And here's Marcus with Julius, most likely when he was still named Ginger.

11.

3 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

Whew! That was an awesome post! Your family is so great! Glad you had a great end to 2012... here's hoping for an even better 2013!

J-Leav said...

fun post! your house looks so much like you. What a great lookin' place!

Paula -- CutieFruity said...

So fun! Thanks for the update. And I don't think there is any way those cats are related...