Thursday, January 19, 2012

Snow Day

All weekend long I kept hearing, "It's supposed to snow on Sunday," then "It's supposed to snow on Monday," then "It's supposed to snow on Tuesday," and it finally dumped a good 10 inches or so late Tuesday night.  Ethan was the first to tell me that it was supposed to snow, because his Kindergarten teacher told him about it, and he was so excited all weekend.  He even spent Sacrament meeting on Sunday having Brian feed him letters so he could write, "It will snow storm on Monday."

Ethan already had school off yesterday, because it was afternoon Kindergarten's turn to go on the short Wednesday, and Alyssa got a two hour delay.  She didn't want to go, especially after she heard our neighbors were staying home, but I told her it would probably be just one big party, and it sounds like it was.  They watched, "Rio," did some math worksheets, and played "Heads Up 7 Up."

The kids had so much fun playing in the snow.  They were ready to go out around 7:30 in the morning, so I sent them to play, then they came in for shortbread cookies and hot cocoa for breakfast.  we took Alyssa to school at 11:00, then headed over to my parent's to play their Disneyland Kinex game, then we picked Alyssa up at 1:40, she made some Pillsbury Valentine cookies that Brian's mom gave us, and we had a fun afternoon cleaning the house, playing in the snow some more, and working on projects.





Brian's office even rescheduled people so they could close at 3:00, so he was home early, too.  We've been getting office furniture on Craigslist, and we're starting to plan and decorate his den.  My instinct is to call it an office, but he refers to it as a den, so that's what I'm going with.  "Den," sounds more relaxing, I think, which is probably why he prefers it, too.  So Brian's office (work office) is right next store to a JoAnn Fabric store, so he hopped over there at lunch and sent me pictures of fabrics he likes for the curtains.  I think he's having fun having something of his own to decorate.

I also set up my Silhouette Cameo last night, and let me tell you I had so much fun.  That thing is amazing!  I've worked with both my mom's original Silhouette and my Cameo, and I can safely say, 100%, that the Cameo is a thousand times better.  When my mom and I would do projects with hers, we would get a great final outcome, but it took so much time arguing with the machine, and re-cutting things that got messed up during the cutting.  I cut a whole bunch of vinyl last night and the only problem I ran into was that I accidentally chopped off the tip of Marcus' nose when I was cutting (by hand, with scissors) his sillhouette off of the roll of vinyl.

So here's a little bit of what I did last night:
Alyssa - so beautiful!

Ethan - so serious

Marcus - I couldn't get him to hold still!

Rebecca - absolutely adorable!
Now our entry way is one step closer to being finished.  I used a tutorial to make the silhouette shape and another tutorial to cut it with the Cameo.  I made the flower for Alyssa's hair by converting Googled shapes into cuttable shapes, and the headband for Becca by just playing with shapes in the Silhouette software.  Brian and I are going to take each other's pictures later today, so we'll be added to the wall soon.

5 comments:

Cam said...

You finally got your snow! Enjoy your blizzard- wonder if we'll get any snow in UT? Our slogan is "greatest snow on Earth" afterall.
Cool decorating idea, bytheway.

Kim-the-girl said...

Your silhouettes turned out adorable!!! I'm super jealous you got the Cameo! I like my SD, but would love to have the superior Cameo. Oh well!

Your snow looks fun too... my brother is interviewing for a job up in your neck of the woods and I really hope he gets it!

Cali said...

OK, when did Alyssa get so big? She looks so grown up! So glad you had such a fun snow day!

Johnsons said...

I especially like Marcus's silhouette. He looks so happy!
-Megan

J-Leav said...

Makes me miss home! I love a good Tri-Citian snow storm