Thursday, September 29, 2011

I Love My (Mom's) Silhouette

Last year my mom bought a Silhouette cutting machine, and it's taken us all this long to get enough time to experiment and learn how to use it.  She's letting me borrow it for a bit, so the boys and I had fun decorating their walls this afternoon.

The boys have cars (Ethan's bed) and rockets (Marcus's bed) in their room, so my original plan was to put "Oh the Places You'll Go" type of quote on the wall, but I was having trouble picking which part of the book to use, so I asked Marcus what he wanted his wall to say.  He replied, "Um, a rocket ship," and that's when I let him take over.

We Googled rocket ship pictures, and that's where we got the rocket ship on the left.  The one on the right we designed and created ourselves.  When it was time to put things on the wall, Marcus told me where to place them, and we stuck them on together.  The only place I deviated from his plan was that wanted the words to say, "Lightning."  I thought, "...to infinity and beyond!" went better with the rockets, and I figured that the kids can't read yet, so it shouldn't bother him.  If he could read I would have totally put up, "Lightning."

Them when we were walking Ethan home from school we asked what he wanted on his wall and said that he wanted a dinosaur with a "bubble that says, 'Roar!'"  Finding a good dinosaur picture was hard!  He wanted a T-rex, but none of those were working, so we went with an alisaurus.

We made the volcano and the palm trees on our own.  I think the clouds just make the volcano.

It's funny that the little pictures don't look as big in the photos as they do in real life.  When you walk in the room, you see a large, cohesive scene - much better than in the pictures.  Oh, and Marcus' mattress is on the floor, because he still rolls out of bed.  I actually put his big rocket ship pillow beside his bed each night, because he usually rolls to the floor, and at least that helps him to have something soft for his head.  Next up, I'd like to do up their names to put at the head of their beds.  I'm excited for Alyssa to come home, because I can't wait to see what she comes up with for her wall!

2 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

Ooo. It looks great! You may have to educate me on how to use web images to cut shapes... I haven't figured that out yet. I've been spending money in their store, though. You can be sure. :)

Brooklet said...

They are cute. I bet your kids are having fun with those on the walls. What a cool toy the Silhouette is!