Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Getting Back Into The Swing Of Things

Seriously, we only missed one official day of school, and our vacation only lasted Friday plus the weekend, but yesterday I had such a hard time wanting to clean and home school.  One problem was that we needed to stick our hotel key into the thermostat for it to work and it kept timing out every two hours and letting the room get hot, so I didn't get any better sleep than I do at home.  So I was very tired yesterday morning. The other problem was that we had so much fun having celebratory birthday meals for Brian and his dad that I felt like a huge loaf from eating too much.  The birthday meals were fun, though.  Every where we went they were sung to and brought dessert.  Plus, we had to get cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory, (because how can you not?) and the huge slice of chocolate cake to share at Claim Jumpers, and after all that I didn't want to eat anything yesterday.

But let me just say that we had a super-ly terrifically wonderful weekend.  Brian and I actually talked on the drive over to Portland.  We talked without kids interrupting us or us interrupting ourselves to talk to the kids.  It was fabulous!  We checked into the hotel, then went immediately to the Ringside Steakhouse for an office doctors meeting, where everyone was in love with their meat of choice, and I had the absolute best asparagus in my entire life.

On Friday Brian went to classes pretty early, and I slept in a bit, then met up with Brian's mom to explore Portland.  Then we had lunch at Red Robin and headed to the conference center for the exposition fair.  I walked around with Brian while he talked with equipment companies, pharmaceutical reps, software people, etc.  We saw Justin Heintz (He's married now!  Yea!) and Trent Cluny (They finally invited me to their exclusive private blog!  Yea!) and it was fun talking to them.  After that we went to ToDai's for the official office birthday party for Brian's dad, Brian, and Amy.  ToDai's is sushi and sea food, so that was one meal that I didn't eat very much of, but what I did eat (chicken) was yummy.  Friday night we stayed up late in Brian's parents room playing Pedro. Brian and I won the first and second hands, and lost the third.  Right?  Am I remembering correctly?  We were way tired, but it was fun.

Saturday I watched the morning session of General Conference with Brian's mom, did some shopping at Ikea (That place is amazing!), then met up with Brian and his dad at Cheesecake Factory.  Then on Sunday morning Diane and I watched Sunday's morning session of Conference while Brian and his dad went to their last class, then we went to Claim Jumpers for that amazing chocolate cake, and headed home.

I guess this is a "just documenting" post.  It doesn't sound nearly as exciting as it was to experience it.  I think the best parts for me were not having to count little blond and brunette heads every time we went somewhere, and not having to tell people not to climb or run in buildings, and not having to tell people to sit down at dinner.  It was great!

The kids had their own fun with cousins while we were away.  They didn't miss us a bit.

2 comments:

Cam said...

a key-controlled thermostat sounds like a HORRIBLE idea! Oh well, it sounds like the rest of the weekend was great. I'm so bummed we weren't able to make it this year- we were a little sad over the weekend that we weren't enjoying the beautiful northwest. But, we get our adult-only getaway this weekend to Las Vegas for visionexpo, so we're looking forward to that. Just wish we would be running into friends while we're there!
Good luck getting back into the swing of things, coming home from vacation is hard.

Kim-the-girl said...

Coming home from vacation is hard! I'm still sitting in a messy house and we got home a week ago! Even still, it sounds like it was worth it! What fun to see friends and have time away from the kids. Now that's the vacation I need!