Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Check Me Out

No, seriously.  Check me out.

Hhhmm...

What is that from?  Is it Strongbad?  "Check me out.  No, seriously, check me out."  It's running through my head now in Strongbad's voice, and it seems to fit.  Ha!  We haven't watched Homestar Runner in years, and I'm still quoting it.

So this post was intended to give me an opportunity to brag about how proud I am of myself for keeping some goals I set while watching Conference last week, but now that I'm sitting at the computer, I can think of a whole bucket of things I'd like to brag about, so here I go:

1. Marcus's Ghostbuster Halloween costume is turning out to be so cool.  (And you have to say that the way he does, "Ztho Cool!!"  Notice the tiny little "L" at the end.  It doesn't get represented as much as it should.)  Brian found the perfect hand held vacuum attachment set at Value Village last week to fix to his backpack for a proton pack, and I'm having a blast hooking it all together.  Plus, the blue sweatsuit that Marcus picked out is way awesome now that it has the Ghostbuster symbol on the sleeve and "JACKS" on the front.

2.  On Sunday night I checked the race results from the Indian Summer Run.  I was just randomly checking and thinking, "Maybe I'll stop running for a while.  It's getting cold in the mornings.  I don't know if I want to do it anymore."  And then I saw the results.  I placed 19th out of 65 women, and 3rd out of 8 in my age group.  Pretty cool, huh?  That's enough to keep me running every morning.  I'm really working on improving my time, and it's fun to race against my previous times each day.

3.I have the coolest husband!  This morning when I got home from running, Brian was just getting out of the shower, and he told me to set out two plates and two cups of milk on the table.  So I went downstairs and got everything out, being careful not to wake the kids while doing so.  It took him longer to get dressed than for me to set the table, so I went back upstairs and he said that there were two brownies on the top of the fridge for our breakfast.  They were not just brownies, though.  They were yummy caramel brownies.  When Brian came downstairs he even played our song on my phone to serenade our unhealthy breakfast.  It was fun!

4. So the whole point of this post was to talk about how proud I am of myself for keeping the goals I set while watching General Conference last week.  I was only able to watch a couple of sessions, and Brian was only able to listen to parts of sessions on his phone during some of his boring classes, and we both felt sad that we weren't able to watch it together as a family, so we're watching it bit by bit with the kids before bedtime to catch up.  But last weekend, even though there weren't any talks that I listened to that were directly about this, I really felt that I need to clean up my TV watching.  For the past couple of years I've faithfully watched Grey's Anatomy, and last year I joined the world in watching Glee when it came out.  These are both shows that I should not be watching.  I finally realized how bad it really was when someone posted something about Glee on Facebook, and I thought, "She watches Glee?!?  But she's such a good person!"  And then it dawned on me, that I'm trying to be a good person, and I was watching Glee.  Then during Conference, I knew that it was time to shape up.  I made a promise to myself that I was done, and I told Brian so I could be held responsible.

So here I am, over a week later, and I didn't give in.  Honestly, I wasn't even really tempted to watch either show.  I think the draw for me in Glee was the music, and I can listen to that on Pandora, and really the draw for me with Grey's Anatomy was the cool medical stories that would tie in with the trials the characters were facing at the time.  It was quite clever, and the writers really aren't doing that anymore, so it's not as fun to watch.  I think I need to find a new medical show to watch, though, because I think they're fun.   Maybe I'll watch Reuben's "Which Doctor TV Shows Are Fake" again for a recommendation.

Anyway, I think I'm done.  I can't brag about my kitchen floor, which badly needs to be mopped, and I can't brag about my bed, which needs to be made, and I can't brag about our school room, which looks like a tornado hit it.  Oh, wait, it did - Tornado Marcus. So I'm going to go clean now.  Just know that today I am feeling pretty darn good.

6 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! That is awesome... all of it! Brag away. I know what you mean about Glee, I watched the pilot and decided I couldn't watch it. My friend watches it all the time and shows me all the best musical numbers on You Tube. :) I felt similar feelings at conference, like I told Ethan we should choose 2 shows that we want to watch and stop wasting so much time in the evening! Thanks for your example!

And definitely keep running! I was impressed with your time! You're doing GREAT!!!

NaDell said...

I'm excited to see Marcus's costume! Sounds awesome!
Good thoughts and goals too.

Britney said...

You picked the perfect week to stop watching Glee. After last weeks episode I probably won't be watching it anymore either. Great job on all of your accomplishments!!!

Kimberly Nicole said...

Good job! Thanks for letting me know about glee. I just downloaded the first season to start getting into it because the commercials are funny and I knew that you watched it. BUT if it isn't a good show then I will delete it.
Good Goals! I'm proud of you Carrie! You're a wonderful sister and role model! Thank you!

erica said...

hey carrie! it's erica, and i'm excited that i found your blog! i totally agree about glee, after watching last week, {it was SO inappropriate} i decided it's not worth my time to watch either. i hope you don't mind me stalking your blog...it's fun to see what your family is up to!

erica said...

you can stop by our blog as well...it's at brandonanderica.blogspot.com