Tuesday, January 19, 2010

To Say it Bluntly, Earthquakes Stink

Last week Brian and I were talking about...well, I guess about how big the world is despite all the technological adavancements that bring us closer together. I think we actually weren't talking about that, but then we kind of jumped to the subject, and I saw a news article headline about there being an earthquake in Haiti. I didn't read the article, or really read the headline too closely, because at the time I didn't realize just how horrible this earthquake was. I pointed to the headline and said, "See? These people just had an earthquake. People probably died, homes were destroyed, and we're still living a perfectly normal life over here."

"Yeah, all they get is a fifteen minute headline, and it's over for us," Brian agreed.

Our perspective has obviously changed since last week. I now realize just how much damage this earthquake caused, how many lives were destroyed because of it. Even now, though, I've been taking the same stance that Alyssa takes when it comes to scary parts in movies. If I don't see it, I don't have to think about it. I don't want to see the pictures of the mass graves they're digging and throwing bodies into. I don't want to see pictures of the babies that have lost their mothers. It hurts too much to even think about it. I can't imagine - don't want to imagine what it would be like to have one quick event destroy everything truly important in my life.

One thing I forced myself to realize this morning is that these people need help. They're getting some help, but it's obviously been slow in coming, and it's going to be a long, hard process to put everything back together again. I've been reading the articles on what the LDS Humanitarian Services are doing to aid everyone in Haiti. Like always, they are doing great things. And like always, "100 percent of all donations are distributed directly to those in need." (from the Humanitarian General Fund) Hint, hint: donations can be made here.

It amazes me that all of the missionaries serving in Haiti are safe, and that all of the LDS chapels are undamaged. I don't believe that this happened because we're so righteous that we're always preserved, but because the Lord knew that help would be needed. I'm sure those missionaries are working like crazy right now, and seven chapels are being used to house over 4,000 people. It's amazing to see the little bits of good that can come from something so horrible.

I pray that the people of Haiti can be comforted at this time, and that they can find peace in the middle of all the chaos.

6 comments:

Travis and Heather said...

you truly have such a gift. You are an incredible writer. I agree...everything you said about Haiti only I didn't know about the church buildings and missionaries...what a blessing. And I agree lastly with EARTHQUAKES STINK!

Anonymous said...

Carrie,
I'm so glad you wrote about this! Way to be socially conscience!
Chris

Brooklet said...

That may have been blunt but beautifully written- it captured a lot of the emotions that I feel regarding tragedies like this- how in just a couple of minutes, everything I love could be taken from me.

Kim-the-girl said...

This was a GREAT post! Thanks for expressing your thoughts and some great insight I hadn't heard about the church stuff either. I'm sure you're right those missionaries are extremely busy right now.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kimberly Nicole said...

thank you Carrie for telling us about the website! The Sunday before the earthquake I was filling out my tithing slip and I had felt like I needed to donate to the humanities fund, but I had already filled out the amount of my check and so I didn't. A day or so later, the earthquake hit, and then we had stake conference so I couldn't do it, and I just kept thinking "there should be a website".
Someone in our stake is a trauma surgeon and his wife got a call from the church head quarters saying they wanted to send him to Haiti for a few weeks and she said yes with out even consulting him! He spoke in our stake conference just 20 minutes before he had to go to the airport, and he said that his wife was the extra push and confidence in his abilities that he needed to accept the call.
This was a beautiful post! Thank you!