Monday, January 18, 2010

Getting an A+ in Blogology 101

About a week or two ago, my good friend Kim dedicated a post to something she caled, "Blogology." I'll link to it in a little bit, if she doesn't mind. For some reason it has affected me a lot more than I think she meant it to. In it she talks about the way we bloggers sometimes judge ourselves on the number of comments we receive on our posts and how that can have an effect on our self esteem. If we don't get a lot of comments, we wonder if people really care about what we say, we wonder if we really do have friends, and we wonder why the heck we're blogging anyway. Even if we really are blogging for ourselves, to preserve our thoughts and memories, we still want to stay connected to our friends, and giving and getting those comments are a huge bonus when it comes to blogging fun. She also lists many reasons why we sometimes don't comment, and I'm guilty of all of them. (And probably a few more!)

I don't remember if Kim officially challenged us to comment more or not, but I read her post as a personal challenge to me to comment on everyone's posts consistently. I admit I have missed commenting on a few posts these last couple of weeks, but overall I've been doing pretty good. Through this, I have learned that it really doesn't take any more time out of my day. It only takes a few seconds to leave a comment, and the kids and dishes will still be there, waiting for me when I'm done. I've also learned that commenting all the time adds a whole new level of fun to blogging. I feel closer to my friends than I did when I would just read a post and move on. I miss the ones I'm not around more, too, which I guess isn't a great thing, but at least were staying connected.

So if you're wondering why I all of a sudden like you more than I used to and comment on every single post you make...no, I am not stalking you. I'm just trying to be a little bit more friendly. I'm also starting to post on people's blogs that I've been lurking on for various amounts of time, and that's fun, too.

7 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

Way to go Carrie! I didn't challenge anyone to comment more, but I've been doing my best to comment a lot more too. I'm glad that its been a positive experience for you, I know I've enjoyed it a lot! Anyway, great job on your A+ (and I don't mind if you link...). Have a great day!

NaDell said...

Very true. I don't like looking at my "edit posts" screen and seeing gaps where there are no comments, but the ones there are no comments are usually ones that a comment would be like, "glad you had fun in your teeny amount of snow. Why was school canceled for that?" I always try to comment if I think of anything to say and especially I comment on my cousin's blogs that they just started to encourage them to blog more. =) A+++

Paula -- CutieFruity said...

I realized this a while ago when my aunt was the ONLY one who would post on my blog. I was starting to feel bad about it, like you said. Great post, Carrie.

Brooklet said...

I guess I would get probably a C in Blogology, being that I am not the greatest commentor, but I will do better.

J-Leav said...

How do I not post a comment after that?

Julie Poll said...

Thanks for the inspiration. You're right, it only takes a second to comment and it makes a big difference. :)

Cali said...

I loved Kim's post, too. I've always considered you a good friend, whether you leave comments or not--its just a bonus to hear from you! Glad that you are doing so well...can't wait to hear more about the house!