Friday, October 09, 2009

Blog-crastination

Hey, did you see that? Did you see how I combined the words "blog" and "procrastination" for my post title? Yeah...I missed it, too.

So it seems like all my posts for the past while, and probably the next little while, are going to be "this is all the random things we've been up to" posts, because I keep procrastinating the little things I want to blog about. Between homeschooling, cooking, laundry, dishes, cleaning, grocery shopping...and all those fun things mothers do, blogging has definitely gotten pushed down on the priority list. I've been pretty busy with all those things I mentioned - that, and I've been spending all of my free time reading Sherwood Smith's Inda and The Fox, and they're pretty huge books.

So this is what we've been up to.


Alyssa played Princess Pansy in her Theater for Young Readers class's rendition of "The Frog Prince." She was so excited, and she read beautifully.


Brian turned 33 last Thursday. We took him out to dinner at Red Robin (Red Robins, as my kids call it). The kids and I gave him ties and an oilskin G. Loomis fishing hat, and we made Grandma Orton's Chocolate Dessert instead of a cake. After dinner, we stopped at his office, and he snuck out the leftover two pieces of red velvet cake they had at lunch so I could try it. He had to sneak it, because they were also celebrating his dad's and someone else's birthdays, so it wasn't just his cake. It was delicious.


My niece, Megan, and I met with Stacia from the Columbia River Exhibition of History, Science, and Technology (CREHST) Museum at the Resthaven Pioneer Cemetery to go over the logistics of our parts for Tombstone Tales. Tombstone Tales is a living history tour where groups of people will be lead around the cemetery, where they will come across people like Megan and me, who will be dressed up to tell about the life of someone who lived in our area a long time ago. I am portraying Jennie Crawford Koppin, and Megan is Elaine Grace Compton, who died when she was twelve. I'm super excited about this event. I found out about Tombstone Tales when I was checking the museum hours over the summer, so I called to see how to be a part of it, and they were thrilled to have volunteers. If you're in the area, and you're interested, give CREHST a visit to get your tickets. It's going to be on the 23rd and 24th of October, and it's going to be really, really cool.

3 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

That living history stuff sounds very cool. That is so great that you are volunteering! You sound like you are SO busy! But you're doing such great stuff, thanks for the little tidbits, we love being inspired by you. :)

Cali said...

I hear you on the procrastinating! I always think, "Oh! That was so cute...I want to remember that. I'll post about it tonight." And then it never gets posted and then I have to do the "catch up" post that misses all of the details I really wanted to remember in the first place!

I love reading the things you do post, and love seeing your family grow and get settled. Your a wonderful mother and I love learning from you.

Brooklet said...

Life is mostly random, so why not post that way! The living history stuff is right up your alley. I am sure you are going to have a blast and I wish i could be there to hear your story!