Wednesday, September 09, 2009

First Day of School


We finally got all of our registration stuff figured out, and we signed up for K12 yesterday, so we were able to start school today. Yea! My neighbor told me that Alyssa told her that I keep saying that we'll start school "next week." Apparently, every week, I say "We'll start school next week," but yesterday I was able to tell Alyssa that we would start "tomorrow."

We started off by saying the Pledge of Allegiance and doing our Daily Board, which we made because Ethan's always asking, "What day is today? Is it Saturday?" Saturdays are the days the kids are allowed to watch movies, so he always wants it to be Saturday.

Then we spent the rest of the morning going back and forth from the computer to the table, doing Phonics, Math, Science, and Language Arts. We're having adapted lessons right now, because our materials will take a couple of weeks to get to us, plus we're flying through some of the reading and math lessons, because they're very much a review, and I want to get Alyssa to her right level as soon as possible. Right now the math is, "How many lady bugs are there?" and "Which group has more?" I think it's good for Alyssa to review some things, but I obviously don't want to spend a huge amount of time on it.

For Language Arts we read a story from Japan about a sparrow who was helped by a kind old woman, and to repay her he sat on her roof and sang songs. The woman across the street, however, didn't appreciate his singing, so she cut his tongue, and he left. It turns out the kind woman and her husband go in search of him, and he gives them a choice to take home one of two baskets. They choose the smaller basket, because they figure the larger basket would be taking too much from him, and when they get home, they find a small treasure in the basket. When the mean old woman sees this, she goes in search of the sparrow, and she chooses the larger basket, which has "stinging and biting" insects in it, and they chase her out of town. It was a fun story to read, and Alyssa drew a picture of her favorite scene, which we're supposed to save for a future lesson. I'm excited to see what we'll do next!

5 comments:

Brooklet said...

yeah for the first day of school! This is going to be a big job for you and I can tell you are excited, which is a good sign of a good teacher.

Kim-the-girl said...

You are an inspiration once again... Love the story and the drawing. And I really love that day board. Fabulous job!

John's Arts & Crafts said...

Great Photos,blog and Art work! New blog on the Hx. of the ladybug: http://historyoftheladybug.blogspot.com/

J-Leav said...

You're a hero Carrie-Berry! Home schooling is only for the brave, creative and bright- which makes you a perfect candidate!

Shaillé said...

Wow, I admire you being able to do homeschooling!! I don't think I'd have the energy for it, but you will do an amazing job I'm sure! Good luck!