Sunday, May 10, 2009

It's Mother's Day




* When my older brother was a baby, my mom was on a walk with her best friend. Between their talking and laughing, she heard a little girl's voice say, "It's my turn, Momma," and that's how she knew there was another baby soon joining the family. Whenever we watch our old home movies and I say my famous line, "I like Christmas because you get presents even," My mom says, "That's the voice I heard! That little, gravelly voice you had." She says I was the only kids who kept calling her, "Momma," even after I was a baby.

* When she went to the hospital to have me, she knew that I would be a girl, so she brought pink blankets and pink clothes. The nurses all thought she was crazy and told her that I would probably end up being a boy. I wasn't old enough to remember, but I'm sure she didn't gloat too much when the pink clothes fit me just right.

* When we were living in Utah, and I was probably about three or four, my mom was sewing and I kept getting too close to the sewing machine. She told me numerous times to stay back, or I would get hurt. I ended up getting my hair wound all around the side. It hurt, and they had to cut that hair off. I wish I would have learned then to always listen to the advice of my mother. I would have avoided so many mistakes.

*When I was five, we were visiting my grandma, I got into a car wreck, all by myself. We were getting ready to go somewhere, and I was impatient to get going, so I kept asking my mom if I could sit in the car. She kept saying, "No," but I did it anyway. Not knowing what I was doing, I put the car into neutral, and it started rolling down the hill my grandma lived on. When I jumped out of the car, I scraped my head on the road, which pulled and rolled all the skin off the side of my head. It was a mess. My mom was the one who rode in the neighbors car with me, holding a towel to my bleeding head, to get down the mountain to the ambulance, and she was the one who held my hand while the doctor unrolled all the skin and stitched it back in place.

*My mom made the best Halloween costumes. I always felt sorry for the kids who would show up to the school Halloween parade in store bought, plastic costumes.

*My mom sewed my baptism dress. I remember feeling so special that she would do that for me, and feeling so beautiful on the day of my baptism.

*When I was a teenager, Philip and I decided to tip toe around the house, bouncing up and down real fast, yelling some sort of "HOooOODoOOLaLoOo!" nonsense. My mom joined in, and we did that for about a half hour. It was great.

*During my senior year of high school, I did Running Start through Columbia Basin College, where I took classes there instead of the high school. Because of that, I had an easy schedule and a lot of free time. My mom and I would go on errands together while everyone else was in school, and sometimes we would stop for a hamburger.

*My mom wrote to me faithfully while I was in college, and she was always available when I would call home.

*My mom took me to the temple for my first time. I wasn't nervous, because she was there to help me.

*My mom taught me to be a good mother. It's because of her that I try to speak to my children with love, even when I'm anrgy. She's the one who taught me how to teach my children about Heavenly Father and Jesus and how to love and take care of each other.

*Now, I call my mom every day. Usually it's around breakfast time, but sometimes I end up calling her a few times through out the day for random reasons. She never seems to be bothered that I call so often.

*Sometimes, when I run errands, my mom comes along to sit with the kids in the car, so I don't have to take them back and forth out of their car seats. She sings songs with them and keeps them entertained while I run in real fast to take care of things. There's been a couple times when a three minute errand has turned into a thirty minute errand, and she hasn't complained once.

* My mom has six kids and sixteen grandchildren, and she divides her time up between us all. She makes us all feel so loved and important, and she's always there for us, for whatever we may need.

Happy Mother's Day, Momma

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Your "Momma" has always been one of my very favorite "Momma"s of all!.. She held my hand underwater and let me cry into her(very embarrassing) when a metal chair collapsed on my pinky during mutual... She was always calm (even when I wasn't) whenever I got too upset about anything (I believe she has even been known to calm my mother down!)

NaDell said...

What great memories!
I like your mom too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Carrie, Do you remember dancing to the song, "Highway to the danger zone"? We closed the living room drapes so the neighbors couldn't see us.
Love, Mom