Monday, March 16, 2009

Popcorn from Heaven

I remember a time in high school - I don't know where we were, Katie's house, Bridget's house, Kara's house, my house... - but we were all sitting around somewhere, getting ready to watch a movie. Jamie happened to mention that she was hungry, and Brooke, who was sitting beside her, sprinkled popcorn over her head, saying, "Don't worry, Martha. The Lord will provide."

I don't really know why that memory stuck in my head, but I'm glad it did, because it resurfaced this weekend, and honestly, it's given me a lot of peace.

I am a planner. I like to plan things, and sometimes I plan things multiple times, just because it's so much fun to plan things. I usually plan things well in advance of them actually happening, mostly because I'm excited, but partly because I feel that if you prepare early you'll be prepared for anything.

Brian and I have been talking a lot this past while about buying or building a house in the near future. Obviously, we're looking at things a little early given that we haven't graduated from school yet and therefore, we don't have a job. But we do have a job lined up, and it's been good to talk about it early, because it's been fun to start to figure everything out together and it's given us plenty of time (and we still have plenty of time) to get everything figured out.

I mentioned in a previous post that there's a small neighborhood going up in Pasco that's close to the river, in a country setting, on large lots, for a good price. I've fallen in love with one lot in particular in that neighborhood. It's on the end of a cul-de-sac, with a large, nicely shaped triangle that would would create a huge backyard if you placed the house correctly. I've fallen in love with that lot, and there has been a part of me that has been impatient to get things going (even though I know it's too early to get things going) and I've been afraid to lose that lot of land if we wait for too long.

So this last weekend we were going over finances, and looking into a lot of options for paying off student loans the best way, saving up for a house, etc. And, like I said, I'm really glad we started planning early, because we've been back and forth and up and around all over the place figuring things out, and it's given us time to put priorities in place and figure things out to the best of our advantage. Even though we haven't decided anything, I feel like we're on the right track to getting things worked out.

While I was thinking about everything on Saturday, thinking about getting our student loans under control as our first priority, I started to worry. "What about that lot? What if it get's taken?!?" But then a memory popped into my mind. I saw Jamie being showered with popcorn from "Heaven," and heard Brooke saying, "Don't worry, Martha. The Lord will provide."

So everything's going to work out. If we're meant to have that lot, it will still be around when we're ready. More likely, though, is that when we're ready we'll be able to find something that will be wonderful for us, and I just need to be patient and wait to see what that is.

4 comments:

Brooklet said...

oh, patience for something I really want is not a strong point of mine, but I can see that you have that strength that I lack. and you have a great memory, I don't remember the popcorn event, and why martha? You were all nice to be friends with me back then!

J-Leav said...

I remember that! the abuse I suffered! I thought it was on popcorn day at Livingston though. Brooke put the popcorn back up the sleeve of her coat...I think? who knows? Exciting problems rolling through your head Carrie :)

Johnsons said...

Nice! That's funny!

5dollarFanatic said...

It's funny how the Lord knows us better than we do ourselves. Boise was the last place in Idaho I thought I wanted to live-and now it's the only place I'd ever want to live. Have fun planning-it's exciting and it really does give you something to look forward to. I love the popcorn story-good times. One of these holidays the girls from "back then" should get together.