Thursday, February 26, 2009

When it Rains, it Pours

First of all, let me preface everything by saying that I am not complaining. Despite everything that's happened today (and despite the crazy headache I have) I am completely happy. From everything I'm going to tell you, it doesn't sound like it's been a good day, but it actually has been.

So, here's what's been going on.

1. Marcus got a fever yesterday afternoon, and he had such a hard time sleeping, both from the fever and his horrible cold. He didn't want me to set him down, even in his sleep, and I finally brought him to bed with me, but sleeping with a 20+ pound kid on your arm all night is not fun, so after a while I slid my arm out from under his head. The only reason he didn't wake up (that time) was because Callie the Cat was laying on his legs, so I think he was happy to be able to feel her breathing instead of me.

When he woke up this morning, he had green gunk in his eyes, and you could definitely tell that he wasn't feeling well. Really, the hardest part of him being sick is that Brian and I are taking off for Seattle tomorrow for Jeremy's wedding, and we were really hoping to leave him behind. It took us forever to decide that it would be okay (and probably good for him, though not so good for my poor mother who will be watching him) to leave him, and now that he's sick I don't know what to do. It would be so hard on him to be left, but there will also be other little kids and babies there, and I don't want to get them terribly sick as well.


2. While I was showering this morning, my neighbor came over and left a note with Alyssa saying that she saw a school bus hit our garbage can, which in turn, hit our car, and busted the tail light. So I took some pictures and called the school district. They're taking care of everything.

3. We found ants in our kitchen and dining room this morning. I found the ants just after getting off the phone with the Director of Transportation and just before I did a mad rush around the house to clean everything up before he came over to look at the car. Cleaning up involved sweeping everything, and spraying Home Defense and the perimeter of our living area. Darn those ants!

And 4. (Although the day isn't over yet.) Ethan found the cube of butter I was softening while I was taking a few moments to myself, checking everyone else's blogs. Pretty soon I heard, "I icing, Mom! I icing!" Translation: I'm ice skating, Mom! I'm ice skating! Yep, he had smeared the butter all over the floor, and was slipping and sliding all over the place.

It has been a crazy - insane day.

8 comments:

Brooklet said...

Oh, I am sure the ice skating had to be the highlight of the day (and cleaning grease off the kitchen floor sounds like a lot of fun!) Hopefully tomorrow won't be as adventful (I guess you are going to a wedding, so hopfully it will be a good kind of eventful!)

Lisa said...

Oh Carrie, that made me tired just reading it!

Brian said...

heh heh - "I icing...!" Boy am I glad that I live in Walla Walla. You guys sure have a lot of fun.

-Brian

Kim-the-girl said...

Wow! I don't really know what else to say...How cool are you that you can still be happy and have a great day! You're my hero!

Cali said...

As frustrating as the butter may have been, that is such a cute picture and story! He is a really cute little boy--good thing, I'm sure!

I hope that things go more smoothly for you today.

Shaillé said...

Yeah it sure is crazy how sometimes everything comes all at once! You're amazing to be able to handle it all so well!

That's so cool that you and Brian got to go skiing together. That's something Casey and I really want to do - for all my years living in Utah I've never been skiing. Sounds like it was great fun!

Johnsons said...

How was the wedding?

5dollarFanatic said...

the van picture reminded me of our garbage days when Joe put our bin directly in front of our garage where I used to pull the van out...i was forever knocking it over (empty ofcourse) if I wasn't paying enough attention to my blind spots..