Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Appearances Can Be Deceiving

He wasn't there tonight. Not a big deal. I did feel better about myself tonight, though. I didn't even have to give Alyssa the lecture, and she was very good. She made friends with other brothers and sisters who were there, and she had a great time. Marcus was actually interested in the toys tonight, up until he discovered that he could stand on top of the little table, so he was mostly good. Ethan, once again, loved his gymnastics class, and had wonderful time.

Things were going really well, then we headed to Alyssa's cheer leading class. At the beginning of class the teachers gave a lecture about being safe by not doing cartwheels and somersaults during class, unless they were told to. If they broke the safety rules, they would have to take a couple minutes break from class. Then they set up the girls by laying down their yellow circles on the ground and telling each girl, by name, to stand on a specific circle. All of the girls' circles were set up in a staggered fashion, about three or four feet apart. Alyssa's circle was on the very end, about seven feet away from the the group, because she's the one who's always doing the cartwheels and somersaults during class.

Alyssa did really well for the first half hour, and I chased the boys around the back of the room, trying to keep them occupied with hula hoops and train tracks, instead of brooms, snow shovels, and garbage cans. At 6:30, she started her carthweels, and was promptly taken out of class for a few minutes. She was given the choice to sit on the wall or back by me, and she chose to sit back by me so that she might persuade me to override her teachers' decision and let her back in class. While I was talking to her, trying to teach her (once again) about choices and consequences, Ethan disappeared into the bathroom and Marcus started running around with the broom. I was tired of getting looks from all of the other parents who were sitting there, not having to chase their children around the building, so I announced that we were going home.

So even though I tried to look the part of a great successful grown up, it didn't really work out in the end. Oh well.

9 comments:

Brooklet said...

hats off to you for trying to do all that by yourself! Once the routine sets in, it will get better.

ps- who is it??

Tonya said...

You're doing a great job. You really have so much on your plate right now. Cut yourself a little slack. You're awesome!

Carrie said...

Okay, since we're going with initials here, I'll give it to you guys. Basically, you guys as in Jamie and Brooke.

T.L.

Know who it is?

Brooklet said...

Tanner?

Carrie said...

Yep.

Cali said...

Seriously--kudos to you for trying to give your kids such great experiences. That is a lot of work! Who knows, maybe the others were looking in admiration that you would go even with 3 kiddos to keep in line! I know I would be impressed.

Brooklet said...

I always thought tanner was a mean punk in elementary school- but I am sure people change from when they are 8.

J-Leav said...

I don't even remember him after elem. school...Did he go to high school with us? Really? Dang, that's terrible I don't remember.

Carrie said...

He did go to high school with us. All I know is he played baseball. Maybe it's because we didnt officially "go" to high school. We wouldn't have been in any classes with him.