Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Our costumes

Brooke was the one who came the closest to guessing all of our costumes, so she'll be getting "It's Halloween" in the mail, hopefully before Halloween next week. I'm really excited to share that book - it's a great one!

So here are the answers to what the Jacks family is going to be for Halloween this year, along with some pictures of the costumes as they are now.



















Clue:
1. Marcus and me - (we go together) Boston, 1830, Thomas Edison

Marcus and I are going to be Mary and her Little Lamb. Originally, we were going to be Little Bo Peep and a sheep, but I didn't really like the fact that Bo loses the sheep. I know, it's silly, but it kept bothering me. When I was googling costume ideas, I came across the poem "Mary Had a Little Lamb," which would be the same costumes with a different title.

I really like this, because I found out while researching that the last stanza of the poem goes:

"Why does the lamb love Mary so?"

The eager children cry;
"Why, Mary loves the lamb, you know,"
The teacher did reply.

And I think that's pretty cool, 'cause I love Marcus, and he loves me.

The clues make sense, because the poem was written in Boston in 1830. Then Thomas Edison recited the first stanza of this poem to test his invention of the phonograph in 1877, being the second audio recording to be successfully made and played back.


Clue:
2. Alyssa - Friendly version of a royal novel

Alyssa is going to be a clown. We got the idea when she had Crazy Hair Day at cheerleading, and we're going to do a more elaborate version of the hair-do she had for that. I'm so excited that her hair is long enough now to do cool things with!

Her clue eludes to the clown from "It," the book by Steven King. I haven't read the book, but I watched the movie when I was younger.


Clue:
3. Ethan - "The Jaws that bite, the claws that catch!" but he's not a Jaberwock. When you ask Ethan what he wants to be for Halloween, he says "Duh - duhs -doh."

It's pretty obvious now that Ethan is a dinosaur. He and Brian picked out his fabric, and he's been very interested in the process of putting the costume together.


Clue:
4. Brian - Brian doesn't even know what he's going to be yet. I haven't told him. But what Brian is going to be scares some people who eat dairy products sitting down.

As far as we know so far, Brian is going to be a spider, but the way things are looking, we might change it to something easier. It kind of depends on when he'll be home and how much of Halloween he'll be able to participate in.

Little Miss Muffet, who sat on her tuffet, was eating curds and whey when she was startled away by a spider. Curds and whey, is cottage cheese, thus....dairy product.

4 comments:

NaDell said...

OHHHHH!
Thanks for explaining the odd clues. I had no idea on all of them. I guessed, but not well.
See you next Monday??? Kids are asking every day.

Tonya said...

You are so creative. I can't wait to see the finished products.

Stephanie said...

Argh! My brain could've never put your clues together. So, thanks for enlightening us simple minded ones. And, by the way, the author of Mary Had a Little Lamb, Sarah Josepha Hale, is my ancestor! AND, she is the reason we celebrate Thanksgiving as an official holiday every 4th Thursday in November, after she petitioned the government. http://www.bestyears.com/sarah_hale.html

Brooklet said...

The one that had me most stumped was Brians, because I was taking it literally, thinking that the only thing people who ate dairy sitting down was being constipated- but I couldn't think of a single costume that would have anything to do with that!