Friday, June 13, 2008

Indulgence

I like to eat. I like to eat good food. There are times in my life when I get too busy to eat or when I just don't feel like eating, and there are times in my life when I just love to eat.

I'm in one of those times.

I made a cake last weekend. Ethan, Marcus, and I have stayed home from church the last couple of weeks, because Ethan's been too sick to go to nursery. So when we were home making dinner, I thought I would surprise Brian with a cake. Now, Brian doesn't like cake all that much. He'll have a piece, and maybe another one the next day, but there are so many other desserts he would prefer to eat besides cake. But this was one of those times that I fooled myself into thinking that Brian would just be tickled to come home and have some cake. (Like when I was shopping at Costco and called home, jokingly saying "I need an excuse to buy this chocolate cake," and Brian joked back, "Well, I was just thinking how much I would love to have a chocolate cake," and even though I knew that he was joking, I said to the kids, "Kids, we're going to surprise Dad with a chocolate cake," and I honestly made myself believe that I was buying the cake for him.) So back to last Sunday. I made a delicious white cake with buttercream frosting that actually turned out to be too sweet, but was still wonderful. There were days this week that I would have a piece of cake for breakfast, and a piece of cake for lunch...and a piece of cake for snack. The kids had a couple of small pieces, but we all know who made the cake disappear.

And I've decided that we're going to go to McDonalds for an ice cream cone every Friday so the kids have a chance to run around somewhere out of the rain/air conditioned where they're fenced in. We've gone the last two Fridays, and it's gotten to where we can't pass McDonalds without Ethan crying if we don't pull into the parking lot. But I think we're going to cut back on the number of cones we buy. Ethan hasn't been eating his, and I have more than happily gotten rid of his leftovers, if you know what I mean.

And lastly, what made me think of this post, is when I was eating lunch today, I decided to grab a root beer from the fridge, and while I was drinking that root beer, I actually caught myself thinking, "Oh, wow! This root beer is really good." Most of the time I would actually prefer to drink water, but I really enjoyed that root beer. Man, was it good.

So I've decided that it's time to cut back. No more cake for breakfast (next week) and I am going to indulge more on fruits and vegetables. We've got a watermelon downstairs that is cold in the fridge and just waiting to be devoured, and there's cherries and fresh pineapple and carrots. I should be eating stuff like that more.

I'd like to close with a quote from Alyssa. On December 3, 2006 she bore her testimony for the first time, and shared with the ward her love of good food. I don't know where she gets it.

2 comments:

Brooklet said...

I, too, am very thankful for food. I feel the same way most of the time, like I am just eating for the pure sake of delicious food. I currently have a bit of a stomach bug, so it makes me really long for the carefree days of eating whatever I wanted without wanting to throw-up. Don't worry, those days will be back for me shortly.

Clement Family said...

I say, Let them eat cake!!!!