Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Insights Into The Male Mind

Last night, as we were driving around Hillsboro listening to the radio, we heard John Tesch mention that men are "terrified when women are driving." I asked Brian if he's terrified when I drive, and he said that it's true. I believe it. Whenever I drive him to school - a three minute drive - he tells me when the light is green, or when I should switch lanes. Usually I'm fine with it, but sometimes I find myself saying, "Brian, I do know how to drive." But I guess, according to the radio, this is all completely normal.

Brian's theory is that he's been driving longer than I have, he's had jobs driving (cars, wheelchair accessible mini-buses, and huge buses) and that he would be able to react correctly in a faster manner than I would in a traffic crisis. My theory, that I devised from reading between the lines of Brian's theory, is that men are protectors. They are the leaders of our families, and they feel helpless - thus, terrified - when they are not in a position to protect their wives and children.

So ladies, the next time you're driving and your husband casually mentions that the light is turning yellow so you should slow down and stop, just remember that even though you saw the light change and were planning to stop anyway, that he loves you and wants to keep you safe.

8 comments:

Kimberly Nicole said...

That's very cute, and a wonderful reminder. thank you Carrie. We talked about in our lesson about the priesthood on Sunday how it is natural for he men to want to protect and take care of their wives and families. It's wonderful :-)

KellyAnne said...

Way to put a sweet spin on an annoying habit! :)
I'll remember this in the future, and maybe I'll just let him do the driving!

Terra said...

I prefer Jeremy to drive. He hates how I drive and I hate it if he tells me how to drive. I liked your insights about it.

Lindsey Alexander said...

This cracks me up!! I'm just like Brian....the worst back seat driver ever!! To avoid conflict, Kyle lets me drive everywhere....and I'm happy with that:-) (Well....mostly everywhere, he lays down the law when needed:-). PS....Dinner SOON!!! How's next Friday sound??

Carrie said...

Lindsey, welcome to the blog! I'm wracking my Brian trying to figure out what it is, but I think something is going on next Friday. I have a snippet of a phone conversation going through my head where I'm saying, "Friday would be fine," but I don't even remember who I was talking to or what about. I see if Brian remembers, 'cause we would love to get together again with you guys. Mason needs to teach Ethan how to talk.

Carrie said...

ahh, "I'm wracking my Brian..." I misspelled 'brain' then before I pushed publish I saw that I didn't capitalize Brian's name. Hhmm...

Anonymous said...

ack - gearing up for London here - I feel "wracked"

Brooklet said...

hmm, I disagree- I mean for my personal circumstances. Cody knows how to handle the car better in an emergency, but he drives too fast and doesn't pay enough attention, that we are much more likely to have emergency situations when he drives. Its like that story of the wagon drivers and they each drove as close to the edge as possible to show how they could maintain the wagon, but the one who was hired drove as far away from the edge to show he was safe.