Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Mother-To-Be Special

Feeling slightly depressed after my doctors appointment, I called Brian to tell him the news. 38 weeks and only a fingertip dilated. The doctor said that if things don't look better by next week, we'd go ahead and schedule the c-section. I just told him that we'll schedule the section for as late as we possibly could, to give me more time. Brian listened to me complain for a minute, then said, "Let me make a phone call, then I'll call you back." When he called I was a few blocks from home, so he didn't tell me anything but, "See you in a minute."

I assumed he had called Claire, our babysitter, because we had talked about possibly going on a date that evening, but when I learned that he hadn't, I figured he called the Cluny's to see if we could come and see their new baby who was born on Thursday. Apparently not.

Brian asked for an early dinner, so a bit after 4:00 we had tacos, then at 4:50 he handed me the cell phone and kicked me out the door. I drove away with Brian and the kids waving to me from the front window. Within seconds, the cell phone rang, and Brian gave me directions to my destination. "Turn right at the light...What are you passing now?...Have you passed Dairy Queen yet?...Keep going straight...Turn left at the light, toward highway 47." Highway 47? Where was he sending me? He told me to turn into McMenamins. "Are you hungry?" I asked if he wanted me to go to McMenamins or Jennings McCall, the old folks home. He directed me to the basement of McMenamins, and told me to stop when I came to this:

They were obviously expecting a hugely pregnant woman with a cell phone stuck to her ear, because the two women behind the desk smiled and I heard them whisper, "That must be Carrie." A young woman approached me and asked if I was here for a massage.

"I think so," I said, and followed her to the back room. Brian said good-bye, and apparently told me to call him when I was finished, but I didn't hear that part since the phone was cutting out pretty bad. I filled out some paperwork, went to the bathroom (since I basically have to go every time I stand up), and was lead to a room with a plush-looking massage table.

"I'm going to leave the room for a few minutes," the lady said. "Go ahead and undress to your comfort level." She left. Hhhmmm...my comfort level. What did that mean? Technically, I'd prefer to keep my underwear on, but I didn't know if that would work with garments. So I unashamedly shed everything, and climbed under the covers. The table was covered with sheets, and I had two sheets over me, with the softest blanket I have ever felt on top. It made rubbing my belly so much fun every time the baby squirmed.

It turned out that being 'in the nude' was no big deal at all. The massage therapist uncovered my legs, one at a time, then had me lay on my side while she rubbed my back. It felt so good. I haven't been that relaxed in years! When she was done, she said I could take my time getting up. I wanted to ask if I could nap there for a couple of hours. I did take about five minutes to just enjoy the quiet, then I got dressed and headed home.

Brian got the biggest kiss a pregnant lady could give when I walked in the door. Apparently, he had been planning the whole escapade since lunch time. I'm so glad he did.

For those of you that don't live around here, check out the McMenamin's website. We love going there for free frisbee golf, free movies in the Compass Room, and to walk around looking at all the crazy pictures and paintings on the walls. They even have faces painted on the water pipes running along the ceiling. It's a very cool place.

5 comments:

J-Leav said...

He's a keeper! I bet that felt fantastic. Care, sorry I haven't called back yet- yesterday was my anniversary,today we spent at friend's houses all day, and Abby is crazy sick! I'll give you a call tomorrow...if you haven't had your baby yet!

Tonya said...

Good hubby. You really deserved that. I have been to their spa and had a great experience as well. I'm glad you were able to relax a little. Just remember that the end is near.

Randi said...

Wow! Brian is amazing. If anyone needs some special love and attention, it's a 38 weeks pregnant mommy.

Kim-the-girl said...

Holy smokes! That is awesome! What a great thing to do for his great wife. Maybe Brian could give Ethan lessons...:)

Kimberly Nicole said...

That is awesome! So sweet! I'm glad that you had some time to relax. Very thoughtful of Brian.