Thursday, October 11, 2007

Impatiently Waiting

I called my mom yesterday and complained, "Mom, I am so done being pregnant."

"Carrie," she said, "You've been saying that for the last few months." Actually, I think I've been saying it since I was about 7 weeks along.

I'm now 36 1/2 weeks along. I know, that's a great accomplishment. I'm almost there. Just 3 1/2 weeks to go. And honestly, I can say that things aren't going so bad. I'm not nearly as sick as I was with either Alyssa or Ethan. There's some organ on my right side that's being squished and is constantly hurting, but that's easy to deal with. I can take pain. I can last another 3 1/2 weeks, even if I might complain a little.

My real impatience is due to this VBAC I'm planning on. The doctor hasn't exactly said yes, and he hasn't exactly said no. He said that as long as my body is progressing and it looks like everything will be okay, then there's no reason not to try the VBAC. Three weeks ago I was thrilled with this answer, because I thought I was going to get an immediate "no." Yesterday, I was not so pleased.

Apparently my cervix is a little soft and a little shortened. So my body is making progress and working toward having this baby, but its not quite there yet. I know that it can take weeks to soften and dilate, or it could take minutes, so just because things aren't happening now, it doesn't mean that they won't happen soon. But yesterday the doctor said, "With things the way they are now, we'd be looking at a c-section...but we still have a few weeks left to go."

So that's the ultimatum. I've got to have this baby on my own (I don't know if it's by my due date, or if I get the two week window after the due date) or I'm going to have a c-section. Stink.

I'm crossing my fingers and cleaning and walking and hoping that this baby decides to come soon. I'm so excited to finally have a baby vaginally and get the chance to have that magic moment between husband, wife and baby when you first meet. I want to hold my baby before he's weighed and cleaned and wrapped in a little blanket. I can't wait to meet this little guy.

4 comments:

Tonya said...

I know I can't exactly relate but I can just imagine how uncomfortable you must be at this point. You have a great attitude and I hope that everything works out the way that you want it and that you and the baby will be safe and sound.

kate n. said...

Well, my first was a c-section and the next 2 were uncomplicated VBACs, so that might give you some hope! Here's also some unsolicited advice: try being a little more aggressive. I tried jumping jacks and Brooke was born the next morning, my sister went to an excersize gym and went into labor 30 minutes later. You can do it!
I can feel your pain - I'm a pretty grumpy pregnant person!

Carrie said...

Jumping jacks: check.

We went to the zoo yesterday, and the mild contractions I've been having that disappeared this week came back. Today is madly clean the house day.

Honestly, I don't mind waiting a bit. Brian has a huge test on Tuesday, but I just want to go before my due date.

Brooklet said...

I remember that feeling, I was tired of being pregnant, but I was also afraid of the approaching storm! Best of luck!