Sunday, September 09, 2007

Z Z Z z z zzz

I am a co-sleeper. I didn't really plan on being one, and Brian and I never even discussed it before Alyssa was born, but once she arrived we found that we just couldn't put her down at night. She was like a glorified pet that you beg your mother to let you have sleep in your bed. Except that she didn't have fleas. So while we were in the hospital, Alyssa spent much of her non-eating hours sleeping on Brian's chest, and she continued to sleep there at night when we brought her home. Our first night out of the hospital, Brian and I actually fought over who got to hold her when we went to bed.

Ethan also slept in our bed, but he and Alyssa slept differently from each other. Alyssa wanted to stretch and move when she was awake, but she refused to sleep if she wasn't snuggled next to a warm body. Ethan is our cuddler, but halfway through the night, even as a newborn, he would want his own space, so we would put him in a bassinet beside the bed.

In our family, it's when the baby reaches about six or seven months old and begins to take up more space in the bed that Brian announces that he's not getting very good sleep, and the baby needs to move to a crib. And that's when my sleep goes down the hole. I know a baby is supposed to be able to sleep through the night around three or four months, but because my babies get used to nursing whenever they please, they don't. So I put the baby to bed, and then I'm up three, four...ten times a night with a crying baby who just wants to eat and go back to sleep.

So now that baby number three is coming soon, and Ethan is still in the crib, we needed to have a place for our baby to sleep. He'll sleep with us at night-time, but we need a safe place for him to nap, and then a safe place for him to transition to when Brian starts losing sleep. But I'm hoping that this time around, when the baby gets kicked out of our bed, I won't start losing sleep too.

I mentioned before that we looked at the Arm's Reach Co-Sleepers, and weren't too pleased with them. Then I started looking at the play yards with bassinets, but upon reading the guidelines for them, once we'd be ready for the baby to move in to the bassinet permanently, he'd be grown out of it.

I went to bed on Thursday very depressed and confused. Brian had all sorts of suggestions, like putting the baby to sleep in a drawer, box, or laundry basket, (His sister actually made a very cute bassinet out of a large laundry basket with her last little girl.) but none of his suggestions met my criteria for the perfect baby bed.

Then on Friday Brian came home from school just before we left to take Alyssa to kindergarten, and he mentioned they were having a yard sale at the Hinman House just up the street. We walked on over on the way to Alyssa's school, and there in the driveway was a beautiful, three-sided crib. Actually, it does have four sides, but one of them is currently off, which is how I'm going to leave it.


I measured it all out. There is exactly enough space in our bedroom to put the changing table against the wall, the crib next to that, and the bed next to the crib. We'll leave that fourth side open, giving us our very own co-sleeper. We'll have to put the fourth side back on when the baby gets older and can pull himself up. We wouldn't want him crawling onto our bed during nap time and falling off onto his head.

So that was a very long and drawn out (or shall I say protracted? Who had Mr. Bullert at CBC?) way of saying we bought a crib for the baby. And even if my reasoning doesn't make much sense, it's exactly what I was looking for without even knowing I was looking for it. I've been looking at bedding sets online (those puppies go up to $900, just for a blanket, bumper pad, and crib skirt!) and couldn't find anything that I really like. So now I'm excited to make the bedding for it, and I can't wait until it's time to set it up.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I just want to add that Brian isn't the "bad guy" for kicking our babies out of bed. He's the one that scooted way out of the way when Ethan would spread out in the middle. No wonder he wasn't getting any sleep.

Brooklet said...

The crib looks like a great steal. Have fun making the bedding- I bet you will make something wonderfully cute. And good luck getting sleep- I am currently at the stage of bad sleep at night- we have a bassinet right beside our bed, but somenights she wakes up as soon as we put her in it!! Get me through this stage!!

Tonya said...

The crib is adorable. I'm glad you found something that will work. I'm excited to see the baby when he gets here.

When Blake was first home, he had colic and would not sleep on his back so we took turns sleeping with him on our chests. After we got the colic under control he slept in between our pillows (we have a king size bed) until he could roll over both ways. He still will climb in bed from time to time and I have to admit that I enjoy it, that is until his knee is in my back LOL :o)

Kimberly Nicole said...

Carrie, Mom and I love your crib. good job! It's really cute.

Katie B.C. said...

Mr. Bullert! I totally forgot about that guy and his spitting habits!

We actually just barely got Ariana's first crib- we used the arm's length co-sleeper- which worked for us. She's petite so we could use it for about 5 months. But Ariana was still in and out of our bed for most of the night. But finally she sleeps through the night in her own room!