Sunday, July 15, 2007

Our Little Pixie

Yesterday morning Brian found Alyssa behind the lazy boy recliner with a pair of scissors. He quickly took them away, not knowing what it was she had been cutting. It wasn't until evening that we noticed she had cut a chunk of the hair above her forehead to about one inch in length. It obviously wasn't too noticeable, because it took us all day to find it, but the main reason for that was because it was covered is by other hair was hanging over it, into her face. Alyssa refuses to have her hair done each morning, and the times that I actually succeed in convincing her, she fights the whole time and takes it out again within the hour. It is constantly hanging in her face, which is the reason she gave us for cutting off the chunk that she did. "It was in my eyes," she said.

So taking all this into account, I decided to cut it. At first the goal wasn't to have her hair match the part she cut, but to get it out of her eyes. We put Curious George on the televsion and I gave her a very cute, chin-length bob. It was great to have her hair out of her face, but now it wasn't covering the one-inch spike on top of her forehead. So I kept going, and we ended up with this.


It really is quite cute (the picture doesn't do it justice), especially with her little pink headband, but it's going to take quite a while to get used to. I lay in bed for over an hour last night grieving the loss of my little girl's hair. Why didn't I just leave it alone? Why did I chop it all off? What is Brian going to think? She has to go to kindergarten like this!

All in all, it will grow out, and until it does, it will just have to do. The great part is that it's out of her face. There's about five different facial expressions I've seen her do today that I never knew existed. She really is a cutie.

7 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

She looks so cute! She saw me and my boys walking into the church today and I could tell she was dying to run and give Bryant a hug. I noticed her hair was different but I didn't get a good look at it (until now), you did a great job!

Tonya said...

I think it's adorable and it's the perfect cut for summer. The thing I love most about hair is that no matter what it always grows and will go back to your natural color at some point (speaking from experience) :o) I like it!!

Clement Family said...

I did the same thing to Canden's hair. but since he is a boy....well the buzz didn't look so bad. I do like her new cut.
Robyn

Carrie said...

Kim, she did want to go see Bryant. She was so excited to see him!

Carrie said...

I'm a little more used to her hair this morning. It didn't shock me when she got out of bed. I guess I've got to think of it as being vogue...she's so hip.

Cali said...

I love it!! I think she looks great--and I love short hair on girls. I'm sure a haircut is on its way to me here pretty soon.

Brooklet said...

I bet it feels so nice to her- I have often been tempted to shave my head in an attempt to stay cool. The cut is cute and sassy!

I do dread the day that Claire finds a pair of scissors and slinks behind the lazyboy to play hairdresser herself.