Thursday, July 12, 2007

Improve Your Intimacy In Five Easy Steps!

Step 1. Stop being pregnant.

I received an email from Mommy Without Pounds (an exercise program that I signed up for that I never did any of the exercises from) that said, "Carrie, improve your intimacy in five easy steps," and I didn't even have to open the email because I know exactly what needs to be done.

I need to just stop being pregnant.

Brian tried cuddling up to me last night when I was reading in bed and he was studying, but when I'm pregnant I just can't be touched! I feel sickest in the evenings, so all I want to do is lay still and be left alone. And then there's the pregnancy claustrophobia. I think it's because my body is undergoing a complete overhaul to make this baby and so many things are out of my control, that when someone touches me it makes me feel even more out of control and my whole body goes, "Whoa! I need some space!"

I remember before Ethan was born the first thing on my list of things to do once he was out was to kiss Brian. I can't give Brian more than a peck without feeling completely overwhelmed. (In a bad way, though, not like when we were dating.) When I watch a chick flick I think, "That's so cute, they're kissing...I want to be able to kiss my husband!" I can hug him, but if he hugs me back I can only take it for a couple of seconds before I have to push him away. Nicely, of course.

It's a problem with the kids, too. Actually, Ethan's body is too small to intimidate me, but if Alyssa climbs up on my lap for a hug, I give her a quick one and tell her to hop down quick before I feel too sick.

I know this is only a small inconvenience, but why do our bodies have to get completely whacked out when we're pregnant? I want to be able to love my family!

Well, there may not be any intimacy in my life right now, but come November there will be plenty of hugs and kisses going around in the Jacks household. We'll even have one more person to take part in all that loving.

4 comments:

Clement Family said...

Oh, my. I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand being touched. I couldn't even let my oldest read over my shoulder. Eeww the thoughts and feelings are still lingering.

Tonya said...

Well, I haven't ever been preggers but there are certain times during the month (enough said) when I can totally relate.

Anonymous said...

I'm the exact same way, my poor husband! I cannot stand being touched for my first trimester and actually into month 5 and then it goes away...too many changes...

Anonymous said...

I actually googled "pregnancy claustrophobia" and your blog was the first thing that came up! (And the most useful at that, I might add...) I'm printing what you wrote and brining it home for my boyfriend since I think he just thinks I'm being mean when I push him away, but seriously I've never felt like this before and I know it has to do with being pregnant, although my doctor just thinks its anxiety??!! I doubt it - I'm sure its hormonal... thanks for making me feel NORMAL!