Monday, July 09, 2007

Been a Long Time

It's been a while since I last blogged. I keep thinking of little things to post, but it almost feels like I should update things before I continue with my regular posting.

The kids and I went to Tri-Cities, Washington last week while Brian spent all of his "free" time in a KMK Course to help him study for boards. We stayed with my sister, Christina. She has five kids, with another baby girl coming in a few weeks. Alyssa and Ethan loved living with their cousins, and instead of calling Christina everyday like I normally do, I was able to see her all of the time!

We went to swimming lessons every morning. Alyssa only lasted two days. She didn't like to bob, and she found that splashing around in the wading pool with her cousin Marian was a lot more fun than hanging on to the side of the big pool and sitting through lessons. We stayed at the park for about an hour after swimming lessons, and Ethan and Derek would always fall asleep in the swings. (They're not asleep in this picture, though.)


The Fourth of July was great! Alyssa was incredibly tired that morning and put up a big fuss getting ready for swim lessons. This was when we decided to stick her in the wading pool. Brian's dad had the day off, and Alyssa had invited him to come to her lessons, so he came by the pool and took some pictures of her, then he and Brian's mom took off for Farmer's Market to buy cherries and Ron's Original Kettlecorn. (Now available with Splenda!) I figured with Alyssa's mood, she needed a change of pace and some time away from everyone, so we headed to my parent's house, where they were knocking out the wall between the kitchen and the living room. That was fun to watch and to help with. Ethan especially liked all the power tools that his Papa was using.

We had yummy steak for dinner, with strawberry shortcake (with blueberries to fit the Fourth!) for dessert, then we headed back to Christina's to walk to the Trac to watch the fireworks. We ended up going right into the stadium and sitting on the grass on the side. What great seats! Alyssa and Ethan both loved the fireworks, but they also both fell asleep.
















On Friday we went to the park for a McDonalds picnic with Grandma and Grandpa Jacks. We threw a rubber duck in the water for their dog, Kimber, to splash in to get. Alyssa followed Kimber into the river and got soaked up to the waist. Then we put swimsuits on the kids and let them play in the wading pool. The kids and I took off straight from the park to go roast s'mores at my parent's house, but when we got there my dad asked if Brian had gotten ahold of me. I called his cell phone, because he said earlier that afternoon that he was going to Costco and some other places. He said he wasn't out anymore and that I could call "the house." When I tried calling our phone number, he didn't pick up, which I thought was strange, so I left a message saying I would call back in a minute. Then the phone rang again and caller ID said it was Brian's parents. When I picked up the phone and found Brian on the other end, I was so shocked! He had come to get us! Originally he said he couldn't come pick us up until Tuesday, but class was canceled Friday morning and he was able to get everything done to that needed to be done over the weekend. What a great surprise! We were missing him so much!

We spent the rest of the weekend hanging out with Brian's parents, then we drove home on Sunday. We had a great time, but it's good to be back in our own house and back on schedule. Christina and I had the best intentions of getting the kids to bed on time each night, but it never worked out. Ethan would wake up at six or six-thirty every morning, and we would play hard through the day. It was exhausting, but we had a blast!

2 comments:

Kimberly Nicole said...

Sounds like fun! It was great to have you and the kids here, Carrie!

Tonya said...

Sounds like a great time. It seems impossible to keep kids on a schedule away from home (or even at home when on vacation) but they will bounce back in now time. Welcome home!!!