Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A Real Mom

Brian's parents gave me a big, blue, fuzzy robe for Christmas. I asked for one, because we turn the heat down at night, and because I was getting up all night long with Ethan. I have to say, that I love my big, blue, fuzzy robe. I wear it in the morning, after I shower, and right before bed. It's come in handy especially during this cold winter. We live in an older home, and when it gets really cold, the house never completely warms up.

Tonight I put on my robe as the kids were putting their pajamas on. I was carrying Ethan around and noticed his face was covered in snot. He's getting his molars, so this is not uncommon lately. I reached into the pocket of my robe to retrieve a tissue, and suddenly I felt very much like a mom.

I don't know why this was exactly, because my mom hardly ever wore a robe, and when she did she usually stole my dads. I guess I learned it from T.V. because I can think of a few T.V. moms in their fuzzy robes. Maybe the writers assume that that's what mothers do all day: lounge around the house, filling their robe pockets with tissues. They're only partly correct; we only do that in the mornings and late evenings.

Anyhow, I'm thankful for my robe, and I'm thankful for the tissues that I keep in it. Now I'm going to go do something I've been wanting to do for about a week now, which is something that I'm assuming most moms do at some time or another. I'm going to watch a chick flick and stuff myself full of chocolate.

1 comment:

Brooklet said...

I have never gotten used to robes and slippers. I have a blue robe also, but I have probably worn it a dozen times in the dozen years that I have had it. I also get slippers periodically for christmas but I never wear them for very long, because I would just rather walk around barefoot. Maybe that's why I don't always feel like a mother!!!