Monday, February 26, 2007

Gary's Chicken Enchiladas

This one's for you Megan! You don't know how embarrassed yet happy I was when Brian sat down to eat and said, "Wow, these are actually really good. I'm surprised." I know I had made them before and he loved them, so I don't know what he was worried about.

Anyway, these are the BEST enchiladas in the world. One of the secrets is the cream (or milk-I don't see a difference) that you soak the tortillas in. It makes it so they stay nice and soft. Very yummy.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 T vegetable oil
1 chopped onion (although I never use the whole thing)
1 10 ounce can of diced tomatoes with green chili peppers
1 14.5 ounce can of stewed tomatoes
1 10.5 ounce can of cream of chicken soup
1 14.5 ounce can of chicken broth
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
1/2 pint heavy cream (or milk)
6 6-inch tortillas
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 10 ounce can of enchilada sauce

1. Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch strips. Place in a medium bowl with desired marinade, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. (I always skip this step. I boil my chicken breasts, then wait for them to cool and tear them up.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute chicken and onions until chicken is evenly brown. (I saute the onions, then add my cooked chicken.) Stir in the diced tomatoes with green chili peppers, stewed tomatoes, chili peppers, soup, and broth. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover skillet, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink, and juices run clear. (I just heat everything up until it's hot.)

4. Remove chicken from the skillet, and shred when cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, allow skillet mixture to simmer and reduce to about 2 1/4 cups. (I just scoop out the chicken and put it in a bowl, then I keep the sauce hot.) In a medium bowl, combine shredded chicken and about 1/4 cup of the sauce and mix together to make a paste like mixture. Mix together with half the chopped green onions. Pour remaining 2 cups of sauce into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. (I just scoop enough of the sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. The rest of the sauce either goes in the tortillas or over them.)

5. In a second skillet, heat cram or milk over low heat, being careful not to boil. Dip tortillas in the warm cream, one at a time, to soften and coat. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla. Top chicken mixture with some shredded cheese, and roll up tortillas. Place rolled tortillas in a baking dish, seam side down, and drizzle with enchilada sauce. Cover with remaining shredded cheese, and sprinkle remaining chopped green onions over the cheese. Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbling.

Serve with tomorrow's recipe.

4 comments:

Brooklet said...

mmm, these look good, I have been looking for a good chicken enchilada recipe! I am excited to try it.

Johnsons said...

Hey! I was making enchilada for dinner tonight! I'll change it to chicken and use this recipe! Thanks!

Johnsons said...

Actually, I plan on making more than one enchilada.

Carrie said...

that would be a pretty big enchilada to feed your whole family