Thursday, January 11, 2007

Obsession

I think I have a serious disorder. I want to go to Disneyland. I want to go to Disneyland so bad that all common sense that I might possibly have just flies out the window whenever I even hear the word mentioned. I feel a sense of melancholy when I hear the tea party music from "Alice in Wonderland"or when the Redhead slaps Captain Jacks Sparrow in "Pirates of the Caribbean." I had a dream over Christmas break that Brian and I worked at Disneyland pulling the boats in the "swamp ride" (we were literally in the water, ropes over our shoulders, pulling row boats through alligator infested swamps), and I kept telling our bosses that I didn't want to pull the swamp ride, what I really wanted to be was Cinderella. When I got up the next morning I told Brian that he either needed to pay for years of counseling and group therapy to get rid of my Disneyland obsession, or he could just take me to Disneyland. He didn't buy it.

It's so bad that when I get on MSN Messenger and say to Brian, "When are you coming home today? I have something really important to talk with you about," his very first response, with no hesitation is, "Disneyland?" Actually, yesterday he asked a few things first, but then admitted that he knew it was Disneyland, but he was hoping to avoid the conversation. I call my mother two or three times a month and say, "This and this and this and this, so we might be able to go to Disneyland this year!" Then, call her the next day, and in a very sad voice say, "We're not going to Disneyland."

When will it all end? Will taking a trip to California solve my obsession? I don't really know. It sure would be fun ,though.

7 comments:

Brooklet said...

Wow, maybe luck0037 will answer all your questions about making big money, and then you can go to disneyland any time you want!!

I can totally see you as the Cinderella at Disneyland- Maybe you can work out some sort of deal with Disneyland- you will be cinderella for a day, if they give your family free admission- then all your dreams will be fulfilled!

Shells said...

Hey Carrie, It's Michelle (Brooke's sister, remember? I used to work with your Mom at the good old Apple Crate Deli?) Sorry to eavesdrop on your blog, but isn't that what blogs are for?

I want you to know that I have been to Disneyland three times in the last month. Now, you may think this is bragging -- and you would be absolutely right. We live about half an hour from Disneyland. At $1800 a month for a small apartment, I have to take every opportunity to brag. But I also wanted to point out that the more you go to Disneyland, the more it loses some of its magic. So, the consolation prize for not being able to go is that Disneyland will be that much more magical for you when you finally make it. Okay, that is dumb logic. The real reason I wrote is to brag.

Carrie said...

Oh, Michelle, that makes me feel so much better! Seriously though, when I was eavesdropping on your blog (actually, Christina was, and she showed me) it seemed like your parents hadn't been to Disneyland until they went with you just recently. At first I thought it was sad, but then I realized that going with your kids and grandkids would be so special too. I don't know if it was magical for your dad, but it seems like it was for your mom.

Carrie said...

Brooke, luck0037 commented about two seconds after I posted. I saw that you were online, thought it might be you and thought, "boy, that Brooke
is a quick one!"

You know, Benji Smith works at Disneyworld. Maybe I can have him get me a deal. "Hey, I had a crush on you all through fifth grade." That should be worth at least a three day pass.

Brooklet said...

What on earth does Benji do at Disneyworld? And I think its super funny that you had a crush on him (actually I think it was several of our friends that had crushes on him at some point??)

Brooklet said...

And what is the big draw to Disneyland- I went once in High school and thought it was really cool, but I think I would rather go to a really good amusement park with good roller coasters.

Carrie said...

Brooke,
You must be the one I keep telling Brian about! "When we went in high school, most everyone thought of it as just an amusement park." But to me it's so much more. We would go to Disneyland when we went to California to visit my grandparents (usually every other year). So we went early enough and often enough (but not too often) so when I think of Disneyland, I really do think of magic. A lot of my childhood memories are of Disneyland. It's not just a place for me. It's a lot more special than that.