Monday, June 25, 2012

Piano and Summer School


 We've been having fun having a piano for the past week.  We had a piano guy come over last week to fix the wobbly leg.  Before he even looked at the leg, he played a bunch of keys, and tapped and tightened things inside the piano.  When he was done, we found out that he was making sure that it was worth fixing and tuning.  Apparently our little piano passed the test, because he's coming over to tune it next month.  Then Brian and I stayed up late Saturday night putting a special stain and wax on the piano, and now it is just beautiful. 

Summer school has been going very well.  The kids are doing a great job of following their work boxes, and I am so impressed with how hard they've been working with very little complaints.  Alyssa especially.  She just dives right in each day and get's everything done.  She's fabulous!  We've been having summer school each day during Becca's morning nap, and then we've spent the rest of the day having fun.  Today Brian's parents took the kids fishing while Becca and I stayed behind to have some quiet time.  (Apparently Becca needed it, because she would not let me put her down, even when she was sleeping.  I didn't mind, though, because I read a good book while she was asleep on my lap.)

I still haven't finished the school room all the way, and it's dirty, but I decided to take pictures to show anyway, because if I wait until the room is completely finished, I may never get the chance.  I still have to hang some of the curtains and put up some Alice in Wonderland wall quotes, then I think it will be done.

This is the kids' working area.  They each have a desk and a shelf for their work boxes. You can't tell from this view, but the green door matches the green leaves in the curtains.  Actually, I don't even think I took a picture of the curtains.  You all will just have to be impressed by the curtains when I take pictures after I put the quotes on the walls, which will hopefully be soon.  I bought the chandelier (it's purple!) at Habitat for Humanity, and it has an almost matching buddy on the other side of the room.



These are Ethan's work boxes.  You can tell, because of the two boxes that have cleaning wipes in them, that I haven't moved the downstairs bathroom chore to Marcus' boxes yet.  You can also tell that Ethan read the Book of Mormon today, cleaned the upstairs bathroom, then didn't put his worksheet back when he came to box three.  He was very excited about going fishing, and it was really hard for him to pay attention to his work today.  Not a big deal though.  He did great.


Rebecca's favorite thing to do lately is to empty boxes or drawers or bookshelves.  You can see the pile of books I collected by the shelf, along with the scattered library books on the floor.  All done by Becca.  She's fun.

Anyway, I love how this room is turning out.  It's such a bright and happy place to spend our mornings, and I know I'm going to be so thankful for it when we start spending more time in it come Fall.  I feel so spoiled to have a room just for our school work (and my crafting stuff) and I really am thankful for the space.

4 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

I would LOVE to have a space like that... we are doing summer school, but having things strewn about the kitchen is a big pain. :) The room looks awesome!!!

Kimberly said...

I love it! It looks so cool! You'll have to help me with my Neverland room when I start decorating it. Glad your summer is going well!

Kimberly said...

your piano is beautiful too!

Cam said...

I love this room!