Thursday, March 29, 2012

Alyssa

Yesterday I began the day by teasing one of my friends, Kim, about having to go into the emergency room every time they go on vacation.  Not a very nice thing to tease someone about, I know, and I ended up paying for it by the end of the day.  See, Kim's little girl broke her arm while they were visiting Utah, and then yesterday Alyssa broke her arm at school.

My mom was over having Grandma Preschool with Marcus and his cousins, Eliza and Norah, so I put Becca down for a nap and took the opportunity to meet Brian's dad at Lowes to buy a bunch of bricks for the yard.  I though it would be a quick trip, but trips like that never are, so after quite a while I got in the van, turned on the key, and put my seat belt on.  It was then that my cell phone rang - the E.V.I.L. song from Phineas and Ferb.  (That's my mom's favorite song from the show, so I made it her ring tone.)  She said that Alyssa had fallen at recces and the school nurse thought that it was broken.

I went to go pick her up and decided to pick Ethan up at the same time.  Ethan was at recess by then, and they had a heck of a time finding him.  They even brought in the wrong Ethan at one point, but we weren't there to see it, because when the secretaries were told that he was coming in, they told Alyssa and me to meet him in his classroom.

With Brian's dad at our house, we had him take the first look at Alyssa's arm, and he agreed that she needed to go in to get it looked at.  He called the emergency room, and they told him that they would most likely end up sending her to the orthopedic clinic, so we just called there and set up an appointment with them.

The doctor there said that she broke her elbow in the best possible place to break your elbow.  It should heal pretty fast, and her bright pink cast should come off in four weeks.  She has to stop playing soccer, which is real sad, because she was just getting really comfortable out in the field.  Last week her coaches started giving out a soccer pin to the best player in each game, and she won the pin for last Saturday's game.  She is able to stay in ballet, though, but she needs to be careful about what she does there.


Speaking of Alyssa, did you notice her short hair?  Last Thursday we chopped off almost eleven inches to send in to Locks of Love.
before
 It's so cute, and so much easier to brush.

after

3 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

Oh no!!! You were absolutely right, though... We do go to the hospital just about every time we are in Utah. Alyssa and Eliza are like twins now! Matching broken elbows and matching pink casts! Here's a speedy recovery!

NaDell said...

Ouch! Hope she heals quickly and fully.
Ethan must be a popular name!
I love Locks of Love! I wish I did it when I was younger too. Elizabeth is just about ready to do that again. =)

NaDell said...

Kim-the-girl knows Andy's cousin too! I opened both of your blogs just now and she had commented right before me on both! Small world! (Andy's cousin Michelle and husband Adam who have three little boys in case you want to tell her.)