Friday, April 01, 2011

Igneous, Sedimentary, Or Metamorphic?

We finished our unit on rocks today, and Brian brought his rock collection up from the garage to show the kids.  He knows a lot more about rocks than I do!  One of the rocks in his collection is still at his parents house.  (His mom winds her garden hose around it.)  It's very round, but flat on one side and basically the size of a basketball.  Brian found it on a hike-in camping trip, and his parents told him that if he wanted to bring it home, he had to carry it himself.  It took him two camping trips over two years to bring it home.  He carried it half way down the mountain the first year, then carried it the rest of the way on their trip the next year.  I guess it was worth it - it's a pretty cool rock.

sandstone with a fish fossil - Brian said, "This fish is even older than Mom!"

Marcus found a green marble in Brian's rock collection, and he keeps bringing it to me with the magnifying glass, saying, "Look at this rock," and "What kind of rock is this?"  Every time I say that it's a marble, he says, "No-oh."

I can not say enough about how much I love home schooling.  Yes, there are many days that I want to pull my hair out in frustration, and my sister can confirm that there are many days that I call her and scream, "What am I going to do with my children?!?"  But overall, when it comes down to it, I love having Alyssa at home during the days.  I love watching her learn, and especially when it comes to math, I love watching how fast she catches on to things.  I also love that it's 12:16 on a Friday, and we're all done with school, and we can spend the rest of the day as a family.

3 comments:

Paula -- CutieFruity said...

I really need to do k-12 next time. I think "that's way too much structure for me, I couldn't do it", but then, I have other stuff, that never even gets done, because there isn't enough structure! no happy mediums.

Kim-the-girl said...

I admire you a lot. I've thought long and hard about doing home school, too. I'm not convinced I could be a nice enough mom to go through with it, though. So glad you enjoy it so much!

Carrie said...

comment for Christina