Thursday, May 27, 2010

Trying to Be Cool Like My Friend Brooke

This morning I wandered into the craft room, which right now is actually the if-it-doesn't-have-a-place-throw-it-in-here room, and I saw a pretty maroon flower on the floor. I picked it up and thought, "Hey, it matches my shirt," then I thought, "I have a few minutes," and I proceeded to take the flower apart to stick a pearl on the front and a clip on the back, just like I learned from Disney's blog, which is not at all related to Disneyland.

I tried putting the flower in my hair, but it looked ridiculous. Then I remembered way back sometime when Brooke was pregnant, she made a pretty flower and put it on a pretty belt to sit above her pretty pregnant tummy, and I thought, "I may not be pregnant, but maybe I can do that, too." So I did. And actually, it's a great thing, because with the ribbon around my torso, I don't want to look like I'm pregnant, so I'm going to have to suck in my gut all day long, which will be wonderful for my ab muscles and posture.

picture by Alyssa Jacks Photography

Alyssa saw my flower, so I whipped up a yellow one for her really quick before she left for MCP.

And speaking of Brooke, when I posted a few days ago about Brian's super-awesome purple shirt (which, by the way, he wore to work on Tuesday, and one of the women in the office said, "Way to go, Dr. Jacks!") Brooke said that she wasn't convinced about the color and that she would need to see pictures, so I decided to take a picture of Brian when he came home from work. But, well, he wouldn't let me. Everyone's just going to have to take my word for it. He looks good.

So the funny thing is that a couple of times that day, while I was waiting for Brian to come home, I caught myself worrying, "What if I post the picture and Brooke doesn't like the shirt?" and I thought it was funny that even though I haven't seen her in many, many years, I still value Brooke's opinion. And actually, when Brian came home from work, I was finishing up dinner, and I said something to the effect of "I've heard that it's a better way to do it," about something, and one of the kids yelled at the same time, and Brian thought that I said, "Brooke says it's a better way to do it," and Brian asked, "What is it with Brooke all of a sudden?"

What is it with Brooke all of a sudden? I don't know, but she is pretty cool.

5 comments:

Brooklet said...

Okay, first off, both flowers look lovely and I love that pink shirt of yours.

Second, my comment about Brian's shirt was to goad you into putting a picture up, because I wanted to see the power of the purple shirt. I actually do take your word that it looks good. I didn't mean to make you think differently.

Third off, it makes me sad it has been years since I have seen you (though it really doesn't feel like it). I feel like we are still great friends, that you are the same great Carrie that always has a smile on, and are always so positive and excited about life.

I am coming to pasco in July and I expect to see you and your lovely family. No ifs, ands, or buts.

J-Leav said...

Wait! I want to come to Pasco in July. Brooke, when will you be there?

Brooklet said...

I will be there July 17-july 24. when are you going to be there, Jamie??

Cali said...

You really do look great! Makes me want to get all crafty and create something cute--except that it would most likely fall far short of cute.

I'm so glad that Alyssa was OK. What an awful feeling--to lose a child. When Collin was 1 year old I was unloading groceries from the car. He was playing in the bushes out front (you remember our apartment in Banks, right?). I put the groceries down inside, walked outside and he was gone. I ran all around the parking lot and looked through all the landscaping, ran around our building and couldn't find him anywhere. I was sick. Just as I was about to call the police, he popped out from behind the "NOW RENTING" sign. I was so relieved to see him. Oh, what a scary and sick feeling to not know where your child is. I am so glad that nothing happened to Alyssa, and that all of you are doing so well.

I hope that you have a wonderful weekend! Thanks for always leaving me comments--I love feeling of your friendship even though we live so far apart. Oh, we live in Twentynine Palms.

Katie B.C. said...

wow. I wish that I could come in July too. It's been forever since I saw you Brooke and Jamie. But we can't. And I'm glad that it hasn't been years (just weeks right?) since I've seen you Carrie but I sure miss some of our other friends who live all over this great nation of ours.