Sunday, December 06, 2009

Christmas Decorations

A couple of Sundays ago we decorated the Christmas tree. Right after Thanksgiving I was thinking about getting a real tree this year (it would be our first one), but then I realized that in addition to buying the tree, we would need to buy new lights, because I didn't want to deal with destringing our fake one. We're trying to save every little bit right now to save up for a down payment on a house, so we decided to wait for another year to buy a real tree.


First job: fluffing the branches. Alyssa, Ethan, and Marcus did the lower branches while I worked on the top ones.


Alyssa did a fabulous job of placing the ornaments.


This is the tree skirt I made copying some of Sarah's. We've never had a Christmas tree skirt before. Up until now I've always draped some fabric around the bottom and called it good. But I decided that this was going to be the year that we would finally have a tree skirt! After I saw the ones Sarah made, I had a perfect vision in my head of what I wanted ours to look like, but I couldn't think of a time when I would be able to make it to the fabric store without kids, so I opted to raid my fabric tub of leftovers. The white is from a temple dress I made when I was pregnant with Ethan, and the red is from a belly dance costume. Our tree skirt is actually still not finished, because I ran out of ribbon and red thread. I'll have to make it to the fabric store soon!


Ethan and Brian had the privilege of putting the angel on the top when we were done.


And last week my neighbor and I went out in the front yard and put up our outside decorations. It was freezing cold outside, but we had a great time!

No comments: