Wednesday, November 25, 2009

So Incredibly Thankful...Again

What is it with Marcus almost dying the day before Thanksgiving? Right now he's two for three.

This afternoon we were headed to my sister's house to participate in my niece's production of "Rikki Tikki Tavi," and like usual, when I told the kids to get in the car, Alyssa got on her scooter and started cruising up and down the side walk, Ethan ran around the grass, and Marcus got on his big wheel and joined Alyssa. I don't know why "Get into the car" translates to "Run around the neighborhood" in their language, but this always seems to happen.

I was able to corral Ethan into the car, and while I was strapping him into his car seat, I heard Alyssa say, "Marcus! Stop! Come back!" And when I ducked out of the van, I saw Marcus riding his bike straight into the middle of the busy street that our street is perpendicular to, with Alyssa running after him.

I screamed "Stop! Stop!" while running up the side walk. I don't know if I was talking to Marcus and Alyssa, or to the cars who were passing them as they stood in the center of the right lane. I counted four cars that went by while I ran, screaming, and when I reached them I scooped Marcus into my arms as Alyssa pulled the big wheel to the sidewalk. Then, once I had everyone safe in the car, I dumped the scooter and big wheel over the fence into the back yard, where they will stay. Forever.

So once again, we are incredibly thankful to have three beautiful, healthy, and alive children this Thanksgiving season.

2 comments:

Tonya said...

Oh wow Carrie, that must have been so scary. I'm so glad that he's safe.

Cali said...

Wow! I'm so glad that he is safe. I love that they toys are banished to the backyard FOREVER. You have such a great sense of humor about everything--I need to remember to keep the humor in my life a little more! Glad that you are all well.